I only had about 50 gal fuel, so didn't list noticably. (it did help the fuel get to the fitting I was pumping out of tho!)
Today I pumped 30 gallons through the Racor into jerry cans in preparation of tackling the second tank removal.
I finished removing the starboard tank but cutting a panel out of the outboard side with the nibbler, then cutting the top into two sections and removing. This lightened the remaining L shaped piece to lift it up and slide it forward so I could get the nibbler into the aft wall.
I finally found the leak! While drilling a hole to start the nibbler, a chunk about the size of a quarter fell out. Over the years a leaky deck fill dribbled on top of the tank , ran aft and down between the tank aft bulkhead. If only they'd left 1/2" or so gap when installing the tanks!
This was about 5 hours work including hauling all the pieces and the 30 gal of fuel off the boat, into a dock cart, up the ramp, into the truck, home and out of the truck. 2 days of working crouched in a 3ft tall space, lifting heavy power tools and hauling out all the pieces of tank have me feeling like I'm getting old!
I used a diamond blade on the angle grinder to cut the welds in the remaining baffles. It really cuts down on the smoke and grit compared to abrasive cutting wheels. I had bought a couple different brand 5 packs plus a Diablo carbide blade thinking I'd do a comparison.. The Craftsman 18 tip bimetal blade held up surprisingly well, and is still in servicable shape. I might use the sawsall more on the other tank, but the nibbler was nice not having to worry about accidentally cutting something on the backside.
Two thing I figured out: always remove the holesaw from the arbor when drilling the pilot hole (it took a couple broken center drills to get this into my head!), and if you drill at a bit of an angle with the holesaw it cuts through much faster.
next up - cleaning the space...
1974 GB 36 Classic #467 "Imagine That"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.