Grand Banks Classic Davits

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Grand Banks Classic Davits

Postby d&n » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am

We are about to buy some davits for our GB36CL and are wondering what the conventional wisdom is for GB davits. It is important to us that we can easily deploy and retrieve a small RIB. Our cradle on top of the aft cabin is too cumbersome to use on a regular basis. I don't believe our swim platform is strong enough to support much weight, so we need something that will attach to the transom/aft gunwale. I am looking at St. Croix davits sold by Defender as a reasonable solution. Are there other options that we should be looking at? Any observations, advise, cautions, experience are welcome.
d&n

Re: Grand Banks Classic Davits

Postby bill.read » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

We have been using St. Croix 350 davits for the past 6 years without any issues on our GB 36 CL. Last year we replaced our 9' 6" w/4hp dinghy, weighing approximately 150 lbs with one that is 18" longer and 75 lbs heavier, 11'2" w/20hp, and found the manual raising of the dinghy stern was exhausting and at times difficult. I mounted a winch on the davit to improve the lifting capabilities and now can raise the dinghy single handedly. See the attached photo of our installation without the winch. One word of caution relates to Atlantic Towers who now owns the rights to St. Croix davits. My experience was that they'll take your money, promise you anything, send you nothing, and will delay any refund until the credit card company applies pressure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bill.read
Supporting Member