Salon floor Supports

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Salon floor Supports

Postby dcdunbar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 am

Greetings Members-

My 1978 GB42 has had some traffic in and out of the salon over the years and has now developed a few "waves" and "sags" in the floor. The waves are due to the areas being supported by the vertical beams under the floor in the engine room and the are due to the areas where there is no support. Short of redoing all the supports under the floor does anyone else have or have had this issue?
I was thinking of stabilizing the floor with angle iron or some other method. I really dont want to all a ton more vertical supports in the engine room nor do I want to replace all the stringers.... So, I'm open to suggestions

thanks
Dave Dunbar
GB 42 591
dcdunbar
Supporting Member

Re: Salon floor Supports

Postby Jastafford » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am

Interesting. No water getting someplace it shouldn't? I have a '72 42' but my two soft spots are in front of the doors and due to moisture.
Jastafford

Postby dcdunbar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 pm

No water intrusion from what I can tell ( maybe previous owner). I've had the boat 14 years and the salon has always had a bit random curvature to it. I think that the beams under the floor are just getting tired and need some assistance. Maybe I can get a pic out later today or tomorrow

Dave
dcdunbar
Supporting Member

Postby Charlie0 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 am

At first thought I might sister some 3/4 inch exterior plywood on each side of the individual thwart ship “joists” if they are the weak point. I would be looking for the reason that they have weakened. Sounds like moisture intrusion somewhere. Can you get pictures of the soft areas? Any stains in the area?
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby bpbyrne » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 pm

That is indeed wierd..im a 1970 gb42 and I just checked mine...theyre very straight. Id poke more deeply...it may be a past problem since eliminated that caused this warping, but id bet my next beer water was involved at some point.

Regardless. Sister them up. You've verified rum consumption isnt causing apparently wobblines right?! :D
bpbyrne

Postby AllanKay » Fri May 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Assuming your window washer control is under the stbd door step as is mine, then I think a small leak could travel under the teak flooring. This happened to me recently due to freeze damage and the water isn't visible until enough flows continuously to be observed. A slight drip may never be observed when moving across the flooring base material and around the seating cabinetry. Just tossing out ideas and understand that I don't know your layout or situation much.
AllanKay
Supporting Member

Postby capnjack6 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm

In my search for a 42 I came across atleast three boats with a pronounced hump in main salon btw bar cabinet and sink cabinet. Mine has it as well. Ill bet mine is 3/8 in height. I shortened 2 verticals in engine space by 1/2" and still dont see any change. Dont know cause and still thinking about fix????
capnjack6

Postby denogail » Sun May 12, 2019 4:59 pm

In my case, I noticed some, (not much) give in the salon floor, early on, after purchase of the boat. I solved the problem with some stainless steel stanchions, or supports to the aluminum channel over the engine stringers, to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the top, over the engine room tile sound proofing, to spread the load. Works great...see the two attached photos...

Plus, you have something to grab onto, when you go down there in a seaway. Plus, the support on the starboard engine keeps me from running into the spinning alternator...ouch!

denO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denogail

Postby FrugalWife » Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am

Looks like a great solution. Any reason why you didn't cut back the tiles and put the plywood directly against the bottom of the sole?
FrugalWife

Postby kainebob » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Our 1990 GB36's salon floor collapsed and the beam support actually broke. Since it was not a clean break, I used wood glue, then fixed a stainless steel strap around it. I then put a 1 inch screw into the upper support and cut a piece of galvanized pipe for an exact fit. A wood shim underneath keeps it in place. I replicated the pipe support on the aft beam support.
Bob: "...Nothing's free in Waterworld..."
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby denogail » Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Frugalwife..in answer your your question, the sound proffing tiles, over a large area, son't seem to compress, and frankly, I did not want to cut them away, or disturb them. Just looks better, when viewed looking up. The fittings at the ends of the stainless steel pipe are the same fitting that one would use for anchoring a bimini top down to a deck or flybridge skirt. Hinged to take a small angle...on the aluminum engine stringer, and almost 90 degrees on the bottom of the floor...denO
denogail