Rocna Anchors

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Rocna Anchors

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:07 pm

I am thinking of going to a Rocna 20 on my GB 36 Classic. The Rocna website video looks like they really become imbeded, which is the idea of course. But has anyone had any trouble getting them to release? Should they be deployed with a bouyed trip line?

Many thanks.

Mark
"Sea Star"
GB 36 Classic
Hull # 358
Mark

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 pm

I only used a trip line when in the rocks.

For a buried anchor, come in until you are straight up above the anchor and the rise from normal waves/swells along with some bumping from the windlass should break it loose. A little forward and reverse helps if needed.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Rocna Anchors

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Roger that, Dreamer.

(And thanks, Bob. That's an impressive number of posts. Thanks for supporting the cause since 1999!)

Mark
Mark

Postby kolive » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 pm

We use a Rocna 20 on our 74' 36 Classic and have not had any problem pulling the anchor. So far it has re lead easily but we have not had it in rocks to use the trip line. We do use a trip line but have never needed it yet.
kolive
Supporting Member

Rocna Anchors

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks, 'Island Breeze'. Do you like the anchor's performance? Does it live up to it's advertising?
Mark

Postby kolive » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Mark, we do like our Rocna. It sets fast and holds well, fits our roller perfectly and releases nicely. Have used a Danforth and a CQR but this is superior in all the places we have anchored.
kolive
Supporting Member

Rocna Anchors

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:24 am

I'm sold! Many thanks. [/u]
Mark

Postby Bob Lowe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:28 am

I think in many ways, anchors are like women. We tend to pick (hopefully) the one that works best with us!

We had and cruised a GB32 for some years and only use an oversized Danforth anchor and it worked just fine in everything we encountered including mud, sand, rocks, weeds and grass. Never broke loose and never had a real problem getting it set. We used a combination of chain and rope.

On Dreamer, our primary anchor was a heavier CQR and our secondary anchor we used in the rocks was a heavy Bruce. We cruised the PNW up into SE Alaska and down the West Coast into Mexico and anchored in just about every anchorage in all kinds of bottom and conditions. The CQR, on all chain, performed flawlessly as did the Bruce, on chain and rope, when we needed it.

The main point with any anchor, of course, is to properly set the anchor and deploy the proper scope. We found that doing that avoided the many anchoring problems, except that is, other boaters breaking loose and getting tangled up with us. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member