Stay Away from SeaRecovery water makers!

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Stay Away from SeaRecovery water makers!

Postby askaer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 am

Whenever you wish to grumble as a boat owner about your frustrations, the risk is great to be misunderstood as an old fellow with too much time! Go cruising and just move along! Why trouble everyone with all your misery and bad luck. I guess many of you may feel the same way at times.

However when a leading supplier chooses the easy way out of a professional problem under the cover of warranty expired etc - obviously it is a duty to call on other boaters not getting into the same trap. In good faith and at some costs we put our trust into SeaRecovery as the supplier of our water maker system onboard our Grand Banks 47EU.

After 3 hours of use - when we first time started up the system since it was factory installed 3 years ago - we got a blank screen on the remote electronic unit at the lower helm. Thinking that this would not be too much of a problem, we cruised around for some months using the system manually from the lazaretto. A few weeks ago we called the local agent in Singapore to have a look at it. Yesterday I got a quotation for a retrofit of USD 4,700 for parts plus labor with no explanation except that this display is not longer supported and we are happy to offer you with a retrofit as if we should be more than happy that they are at all willing to do so!

You get so tired of being a boater when be given such responses as your only option. Nobody home - indeed.

I have read on the net that I am not alone with this behaviour and that others went for the repair later to have a system that still did not work and money lost. I wish to call your attention to this - for whatever it is worth. Have a look at our homepage www.askaer.com for the full story. Look under ownership - there are other good articles that may interest you.

Heine Askaer-Jensen
Singapore

:(
HAPPY OWNERS OF M/Y ALMA - A GRAND BANKS 47EU - HAVE A LOOK AT WWW.ASKAER.COM
askaer
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:48 am

If you bought the boat new, then GBY and the broker, if one, would be your best bet for a satisfactory resolution.

Based upon your description of what has occurred, and assuming you bought the boat new, I have to wonder why you did not use the RO system from the beginning, discover the problem, and deal with it much sooner.

All systems onboard a boat, especially like a GB, should be used frequently to ensure reliable availability.

I suggest you get GBY to assist you on this issue.

Please let us know. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby askaer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for your questions.

First reason: We have excellent drinking water in Singapore from our marina. We did not have any need for using the water maker until we in 2012 cruised in Phuket, Thailand where the water quality at marina generally is poor.

Second reason: We wanted to be spared the routine weekly back-flush procedure; as such we were not too motivated in starting it up just for a check.

Third reason: We did not expect what has happen from a "world leader in water makers". This assumption was obviously not very smart considering the response we now are getting from the supplier on our very first break down.

We are in consultation with Grand Banks obviously. We had chosen the brand of our our water maker on the standing of the local Singapore agent! I did not know at that time what I know now of which the internet today delivers sufficient stories.
askaer
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am

Second reason: We wanted to be spared the routine weekly back-flush procedure; as such we were not too motivated in starting it up just for a check.

On Dreamer, we used our RO system every day when cruising and at least one or more times per week when not cruising and never once had to do anything other than use it. We also used it to exclusively keep our drinking water tank (65 gallons) filled to avoid taking on water we didn't want to drink.

We had the automatic fresh water flush feature which took care of the flushing. The primary filter was a multi-media filter that never needed changing, only an occasional back flush to clear any debris which took perhaps 20~ minutes.

I assume the unit has an hour meter so with GBY's help, I would think you should receive a satisfactory solution. Keep the pressure on them and please keep us informed. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Re: Stay Away from SeaRecovery water makers!

Postby askaer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I promised to come back with the final closing of this matter. Not being prepared to invest USD 5,000+ for having our remote display replaced by a conversion kit when the original one "blanked" after only 3 hours of use since new, on our order the local agent in Singapore TRIPOWER have recently reinstalled the faulty unit (likely at my cost) with no further intent of support and we are back to square one!

I have decided to keep it as such for now. I will continue to operate the SeaRecovery unit directly from the lazaretto for now and when this display unit gives way as happen to others as well, I will remove it from my boat and have it replaced by something more reliable and of a brand properly supported by its local agent. Pure show indeed by supplier and agent. Greatly disappointed - we have had to give up on SeaRecovery. May you all have more luck in your choice of water makers - my recommendation remain - STAY AWAY FOR SEARECOVERY if you for sustainability, reliability and support.

Heine Askaer-Jensen
Singapore
askaer
Supporting Member