Hurricane Heaters

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Hurricane Heaters

Postby kdibnah » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm

On my new-to-me boat, I have a 45000 btu Hurricane hydronic heater. It passed the sea trial with flying colours and failed on the maiden, repositioning voyage, giving us a couple of cold nights.

It turns out that the heater was made in the 90s and needed some attention, it had over 3300 hours on the meter. I spent many hours learning how it works and how to do the required maintenance and repairs. In the end, the fault turned out to be some grit in the intake orifice of the fuel regulator. Go figure, it has a dedicated inline filter.

The purpose of this post is to praise the customer service rep, Marcello, at Hurricane in Richmond, BC. He spent hours on the phone with me, guiding my journey through his heater, called me back in a timely manner when I was stuck, suggested all the procedures to try to test the unit, and when I visited him in his office, he showed me how the heater worked with an operating model in his showroom. Outstanding customer service provided cheerfully and with a total understanding and enthusiasm for his product.

They also sold me some parts I needed, the quality of the parts they make themselves (they don't make pumps or regulators etc) is also outstanding, aircraft quality welding and fabrication.

For a product as old as the one I have, they were endlessly helpful.

Usual disclaimer, a happy, warm customer.
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby TOM ROLLINS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Sure is nice when you run into a good reputable business group. Not enough of them around anymore. Thanks for calling them out.
TOM ROLLINS
Supporting Member