FLYBRIDGE STEERING CABLE REPLACEMENT

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Postby pim kraan » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:38 am

I replaced the cable as follows: took out the broken cable and measured the parts up.<BR>Bought in a rigging shop stainless steel rigging wire as used for sailboats. replaced the cable taking good care that the king spook of the steering wheel stays in the top center position, tightening the wire and cutting off at exact right lenght. Did it alone, but it is a two-man job, really!<P>pim kraan<BR>GoomBay"
pim kraan

Postby Milt Baker » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:10 am

I am no expert, but I'm quite sure you want to buy 7x19 stainless steel wire, which is used for sailboat halyards, not 1x19 wire, which is used for sailboat standing rigging or stays. The 7x19 is intended to go around winches and blocks, while the 1x19 is not.<P>If you don't want to do the job yourself, look for a sailboat "rigger" who works on sailboat rigging to do the job.<P>--Milt<P>------------------<BR>Milt Baker<BR>Bluewater<BR>GB-42-1028-CL<p>[This message has been edited by Milt Baker (edited 11-04-02).]
Milt Baker

Postby Grand Banks Parts » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:10 pm

We now have the facilites to fabricate steering cable replacements in our rigging shop. We can fabricate them to the length you require in either 7x19 Stainless or 7x19 coated stainless or galvanized. Give us call...203-838-2022<p>[This message has been edited by Grand Banks Parts (edited 11-04-02).]
Grand Banks Parts

Postby GBL » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:49 pm

Have a 36GB that needs replacement of the flybridge steering cable due to fraying and improper tracking. Does anyone know the overall length of cable required and what kind of cable to replace with?<P>Also, I've seen previous postings that talk about the information in the 'Owners Section' of the Grand Banks website and have never been able to find it. Is that service still available and if so, how does one get to it?<P>Thanks, Gary
GBL
Supporting Member

Postby samcoltwilson » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:53 pm

One last suggestion. Be sure to lower the steering wheel all the way down that way after installing the cable you take up slack by raising the wheel back up. Look at the set screw under the wheel behind the flybridge.<P>Sam<BR>S&SColt45<BR>
samcoltwilson
Supporting Member

Postby GBL » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:22 pm

Thanks to all respondants including Grand Banks Parts who understood that his cost would be too much relative to my location in the Pacific Northwest. I will hire a sailboat rigger who I will work with to complete the job. He will confirm that the cable is 1/4" 7x19 stainless.
GBL
Supporting Member

Postby David Reed » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:15 pm

Here are the instructions for the old GB Web site.<BR>1.Remove plywood panel in front of saloon steering console to expose the steering drum. Ensure all electrical<BR>supply are<BR>switched off to prevent electric shock <BR>2.Turn the steering system to center by the king poke indication. <BR>3.Move inside flybridge steering console and loosen the nuts supporting the steering center on top of the A<BR>mount. As they<BR>are loosened, the steering cable will slack and the steering centre will incline towards the "A' mount <BR>4.Loosen the set screw on both steering drums and cable will be able to be removed by pulling wither end out.<BR>Note: The open ends are located on the saloon steering drum. <BR>5.Wrap round the new cable's ends with masking tape and adjust it to have equal lengths on both sides. Tighten<BR>the set<BR>screw to secure the cable. <BR>6.Turn the inboard cable round the steering drum counter clockwise two turns and the outboard cable clockwise<BR>two turns.<BR>The cables should be tight against the drums. <BR>7.Separate the cables inside saloon and ensure that they are not criss-crossed. <BR>8.Turn the inboard cable round the saloon steering drum counterwise. Pass the cable round the steering drum<BR>hole at the third<BR>turn. <BR>9.Repeat the above with outboard cable turning clockwise. <BR>10.Tighten the steering cable by adjusting the nuts on the "A' mount inside flybridge console until the steering<BR>center is in<BR>horizontal position. <BR>11.Check the system by observing the quadrant turns when the steering wheel is turned. <BR><P>------------------<BR>David Reed<BR>GB-32 #253 1971<BR>Faith Won"
David Reed
Supporting Member

Postby GBL » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:23 pm

Thanks David, I got those from your previous post and they are very helpful.<P>Gary
GBL
Supporting Member

Postby GBL » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:33 pm

Post Installation Remarks:<BR>The stainless 7x19 cable is 3/16" diameter by 20' long and was easily accomplished with 2 people following the posted directions.
GBL
Supporting Member