Some pictures from our deck and hand rail rework.

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Some pictures from our deck and hand rail rework.

Postby AndyH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 pm

When we bought our 1995 42' classic in August the decks had water in the deck cores. Made the decision to pull the teak and go with Soft Sand nonskid. While the boat was in the shop, we also decided to remove the teak hand rail and install a stainless steel one. I also removed the varnish from the cap rail as we're going to go natural there. I'm not a fan of varnish on exterior in the Pacific Northwest without a boat house. We're mostly there. Here are pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyH

Postby Barry L » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm

Very nice!
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby petit professeur » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 am

Hello, very nice !

How do you manage to repair the water in the core of the decks ??
petit professeur

Postby jmcj » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Very nice indeed and so practical in our PNW. Some will say it detracts from the value, but I disagree. Once you've owned a GB for a long time and laboured keeping the bright work to an acceptable level your approach has a lot of attraction. Unicorn, being a 1981, has exterior teak where ever you look. It takes me almost 40 hours to prep, tape and apply 2 coats, not to mention the sore knees and aching back.
Jim McJannet
Unicorn V
1981-633
36CL
jmcj
Supporting Member

Postby jennyh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 am

petit professeur wrote:Hello, very nice !

After the teak decks were removed we just had the top layer of fiberglass removed from several areas and the core dried out quite quickly (several weeks in a relatively warm dry building). We checked it with a moisture meter before replacing the fiberglass skin.
jennyh

Postby JoMeKe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Andy, if you don’t mind my asking, would you share who did the deck work and how much it cost, approximately?
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby petit professeur » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

jennyh wrote:
petit professeur wrote:Hello, very nice !

After the teak decks were removed we just had the top layer of fiberglass removed from several areas and the core dried out quite quickly (several weeks in a relatively warm dry building). We checked it with a moisture meter before replacing the fiberglass skin.

Ok Thanks !!
petit professeur

Postby AndyH » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 am

JoMeKe wrote:Andy, if you don’t mind my asking, would you share who did the deck work and how much it cost, approximately?

We had it done at Cap Sante Marine in Anacortes and it ran about $68K for the deck overhaul. There was a lot of work to do and they did a good job. The original quote was for quite a bit less than that and I'm not sure if I quite would have committed to all of it if I'd known up front what it was going to end up costing but isn't that often the case?

Oh and the railing was done at Pacific Marine Fabrication also in Anacortes and it's not quite done but is looking like about $11k when it's complete. Aaron did a good job. I think it would have been more if he hadn't used the original stantions. I'll post more pictures of that when complete. I'll be glueing and screwing the rest of the railing on tomorrow.
AndyH

Re: Some pictures from our deck and hand rail rework.

Postby Whistler » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am

What did you do with the original teak railing!?I have a project I could use them on.
Whistler