Unknown engine stuff

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Unknown engine stuff

Postby westiculo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Can anybody more knowledgeable than me tell me what the two circle things are in these photos (the same things are depicted in both photos)? The wire that's just hanging out looks like it used to be connected to the electrical tab. That wire goes up to a temperature sensor located in the header tank. Another wire then comes down and connects up to the black thing. This black thing is wired to the solenoid. Is this an overheat shutoff or something?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
westiculo

Postby Tom Overs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Not 100% certain but it looks like you have an electrical shut off device fitted and the solenoid is to enrich the fuel on cold startup.

To engage the solenoid you switch on the electrics, push the throttle fully forward to engage it then pull back to 1/2 throttle before you push the start button.

I think it's the same fuel pump that I have and it's a later pump than fitted on the early Fords.

If I'm correct you won't have a drain point on the bottom of the pump as it takes oil from the engine and it spills over the pump cogs at the front of the engine.

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Nobby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

The later model Ford engines had an automatic excess fuel operation. As you have noted the wire that is hanging loose comes via a thermoswitch on the Header Tank and then should connect to the vacant tab on the side if the injection pump. This being a solenoid to engage excess fuel in the pump. If the engine is cold enough the thermoswitch creates a circuit to this solenoid when the starter relay is engaged.

The second item the black thing looks to me to be an auxiliary solenoid to engage the fuel stop solenoid that comes on when you push the stop button. Done to save on voltage drop via the stop switch.

Cheers
Nobby
Nobby

Postby westiculo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks guys!
I ended up calling American Diesel to order some other parts and asked about it. The contact on the injector pump is for cold start. It's wired to the switch in the header tank. Brian said I should simply disconnect it, because the only time it will kick in is if the engine is ever started below freezing - since this will never happen, it is unnecessary.
The black thing with the wires coming out of it is a relay for the stop solenoid. My stop solenoid has been on the fritz, he said these things cause lots of problems, and to simply replace it with a cole hersee like you see on the starter.
westiculo