Best BC cruising guides?

Best BC cruising guides?

Postby oldersalt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:19 pm

With our new-to-us GB32 weare looking at spending summer of 2017 cruising the San Juans and north to at least Princess Louisa and maybe a a bit further.

Your thoughts on the best (and hopefully up to date) cruising guides? We already have Waggoner for the San Juans.

Thanks

Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet"
oldersalt
Supporting Member

Postby Richard Werner » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 pm

Your tagline may be the most accurate statement about boats that I have seen :)

Rich
Richard Werner
Supporting Member

Postby bill.read » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 pm

Check out waggonerguide.com for a wealth of information....Ports and Passages is a daily reader for us...Good luck
bill.read
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 pm

Waggoner will take you all the way up well past Princess Louisa. Another series we like is the Dreamspeaker series. dreamspeakerguides.com will give you a good overview. They can be ordered/purchased through several different outlets, including Waggoner's site: http://waggonerguide.com/product-catego ... er-guides/. And there are many other guides that they carry: http://waggonerguide.com/product-catego ... ng-guides/
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 am

The Waggoner is good but we find it rather lightweight in terms of navigation and anchoring information. It's mainly geared toward attractions and things to do in the different places. It also has good harbor and marina dock layout illustrations. So in that sense it's very good. We buy an updated copy every four or five years but we find that the only times we actually use it is if we want to see a harbor layout before we get there.

Instead we much prefer the Douglas Guides for actual navigation, anchoring, hazard, etc. information. We also use the big Sailing Directions books for both US and Canadian waters although the Douglas guides include excerpts from these publications in their navigation information, as well.

We also like Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage: British Columbia's South Coast from the Gulf Islands to Cape Caution.

The Dreamspeaker guides are good, too, although like the Waggoner we find them a bit too "overview-ish" for the kind of detailed information we tend to be after.

The bottom like is that I don't think there is any one guide that provides it all, which is why we carry several types on the boat. However if someone said we could only have one type we'd take the Douglas guides, no question.

We also carry the current copy of the annual Ports and Passes tide and current guide and the Canadian Current Atlas and its associated annual Current Table.
Marin
Last edited by Marin Faure on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

Jill and I enjoy this one. Full of very pertinent information, maps and coordinates. It's worth a look.

http://www.bluelatitudepress.com/bl_sji.html
Onesockbob

Postby Marin Faure » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:56 pm

One other excellent resource if one uses computer-based navigation is Active Captain. We don't use a laptop or desktop-based navigation system but we do supplement our Furuno, Echotec and Standard Horizon plotters with an iPad with Navimatics installed.

This is a charting app, not a navigation app, and we use it lieu of paper charts (which we also have) to get the big picture. This app, which covers the entire US and BC west coasts and Alaska and Hawaii lets one zoom out to see all of Vancouver Island, for example, and then zoom in to just our portion of our harbor with a few finger swipes. When zoomed in it displays the same depth and contour information as a paper chart. It also has the tide and current stations on it.

It shows your vessel's position on the display and will leave a track line behind it if you wish. No connectivity is needed if one has a wifi/digital iPad. If one has a wifi-only iPad a wifi signal is needed for it to track your position.

One reason we got this app is that it was one of the first apps to overlay Active Captain. The AC database contains current abd updated marina and harbor information as well as anchorage, navigation and hazard information. All these categories contain a user review section so one can see what other boaters thought of a particular marina or anchorage. Very usful tool and we use it a lot.

Active Captain works with several of the computer-based navigation apps.
Marin
Last edited by Marin Faure on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Alguires » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Another vote for Navimatics app with Active Captain on the iPad. Detailed and current information on just about anywhere in Washington and BC. It also gives you a completely independent accurate and portable chart plotter if things go south.
Alguires

Postby Boyd Godfrey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:27 pm

He stole that tagline from ME. (although I will admit that I stole it from somebody else ;-) )
I replaced it a few years ago.
"When life gives you Lehmans..."
Boyd Godfrey
Supporting Member

Postby oldersalt » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Boyd Godfrey wrote:He stole that tagline from ME. (although I will admit that I stole it from somebody else ;-) )
I replaced it a few years ago.

Boyd,
Thanks, it's a great line! And remember, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Best
Oldersalt
Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet
oldersalt
Supporting Member

Postby Boyd Godfrey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:18 pm

FWIW I still use that tagline over on Trawler Forum. Truest statement about boating ever said.
"When life gives you Lehmans..."
Boyd Godfrey
Supporting Member