New GB owner

New GB owner

Postby pjwhite » Mon May 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm new (at age 59) to boat ownership with the purchase of a very nice 1969 Grand Banks 32 (Hull 164). I've loved boats all my life, but this is the first one I've owned. I spent months learning all about Grand Banks boats (thanks in great part to this forum) and went ahead and bought it anyway.
I've been spending the last several weekends taking the boat out for spins around San Francisco Bay, learning how to dock and undock, how to drop anchor and raise anchor, etc. It's been great fun, and I'm learning quickly, and so far, have had no major disasters.
I posted some photos at http://doctordmx.tumblr.com, and just posted a time lapse video from an outing yesterday here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk9KX9evg3k
I look forward to many pleasant outings in the future. :)
pjwhite

Postby kolive » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Welcome aboard!
kolive
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Mon May 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Yeah another woody!! Welcome!
Onesockbob

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue May 24, 2016 7:00 am

Being owned now by a GB32 woodie, your life has changed forever. Welcome aboard! :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Re: New GB owner

Postby Keith Morris » Tue May 24, 2016 11:38 am

pjwhite wrote:I posted some photos at http://doctordmx.tumblr.com, and just posted a time lapse video from an outing yesterday here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk9KX9evg3k
I look forward to many pleasant outings in the future. :)

If only they went this fast. Welcome aboard!
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby thugger » Tue May 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Welcome aboard! You've picked a great year and a great boat. We're owned by a 1969 GB32, hull number 126. And my father has GB32 hull number 106. Fantastic boats...you won't regret your choice!
Ted Hugger
Seguin, GB32-126
thugger
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:36 am

I believe our boats are close relatives. We have 32-162 in Alameda, right across from Coast Guard Island. Might have seen you out on the bay, as we have seen several 32's out there in the past. We have been working non stop to try and arrest deterioration caused by the previous owner letting the boat get away from him. We have only owned her for a little over a year. and have already spent several hundred hours trying to play catch up. The rain has slowed things down, as we are in un covered moorage. I was told that there was another 32 here in the marina at one time, parked right next to ours, with a hull number real close to ours. Perhaps it was the boat you now own. Anyway I would love to see your boat sometime. It would be interesting to see how two woodies the same age and in the same location have faired. We are working on fly ridge repairs, replacing ledgers, rebuilding seats, and repairing the sides. I was in the middle of deck re caulking, and still need to finish the cockpit area, along with some plywood replacement due to rot
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:41 am

Interesting. Our hull number 162 is a 1970, and your later hull, a 1969. Maybe Bob can explain
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:45 am

There should be no duplicate hull numbers within the same size & model.

Perhaps there has been a typo somewhere along the line. Do both boats have the same number on their oval GB plaque?

If documented with the USCG, you might be able to see what the history is on one or both.

Please let us know what you learn. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby pjwhite » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 am

Rod Graff wrote:I believe our boats are close relatives. We have 32-162 in Alameda, right across from Coast Guard Island. Might have seen you out on the bay, as we have seen several 32's out there in the past. We have been working non stop to try and arrest deterioration caused by the previous owner letting the boat get away from him. We have only owned her for a little over a year. and have already spent several hundred hours trying to play catch up. The rain has slowed things down, as we are in un covered moorage. I was told that there was another 32 here in the marina at one time, parked right next to ours, with a hull number real close to ours. Perhaps it was the boat you now own. Anyway I would love to see your boat sometime. It would be interesting to see how two woodies the same age and in the same location have faired. We are working on fly ridge repairs, replacing ledgers, rebuilding seats, and repairing the sides. I was in the middle of deck re caulking, and still need to finish the cockpit area, along with some plywood replacement due to rot

When I bought mine, she was berthed at Svendsens, in the covered area, right next to another GB32, the Marjul. And there was another across the way -- maybe that was yours?
Attachments
DSC_4144.JPG
Marjul, next to mine at Svendsen's
DSC_4146.JPG
Another GB32 across the way (in background)
pjwhite

Postby Rod Graff » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Ours is at the Grand Marina, and has been there in uncovered mooring for at least twenty years, according to the old timers here at the marina. Our boat has not faired as well as yours. Are you now in un covered moorage? We do not have the same hull number. Our plaque is 32-162 but is listed as a 1970. What I did not understand is your later hull, 164 being a 1969. Was your boat the one that Dave at Pacific Yaght Imports had listed? We purchased ours from him, and then a little later, he listed another woodie, but I thought it was in Vallejo. The picture I remember in the listing looks like yours. Very nice boat!
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby pjwhite » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:36 am

Rod Graff wrote:Ours is at the Grand Marina, and has been there in uncovered mooring for at least twenty years, according to the old timers here at the marina. Our boat has not faired as well as yours. Are you now in un covered moorage? We do not have the same hull number. Our plaque is 32-162 but is listed as a 1970. What I did not understand is your later hull, 164 being a 1969. Was your boat the one that Dave at Pacific Yaght Imports had listed? We purchased ours from him, and then a little later, he listed another woodie, but I thought it was in Vallejo. The picture I remember in the listing looks like yours. Very nice boat!

I'm now in Redwood City at Westpoint Harbor (uncovered), and it's starting to show in the varnish. When we get some clear weekend weather, I'll be working on that.

I don't know why the year vs. hull numbering is backwards. Maybe mine was built at the end of '69 and yours at the beginning of '70 by a faster boatbuilding crew? From old photos I've seen of the American Marine yards, they built several boats at a time.

When I bought mine, I don't believe it was listed with any broker, it was only advertised on Craigslist.
pjwhite

Postby Marin Faure » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:26 pm

We have one of the first batch of fiberglass GB36s. The date in the HIN is 73 meaning the hull was manufactured in 1973 at which time the GB hull number (403 in our case) would have been assigned. However the boat was actually completed and delivered in early 1974.

The Kowloon and Singapore yards did indeed have a number of boats in the manufacturing process at any given time. The photo below is from an old book I have with a section on American Marine's Kowloon operation.

If the same hull number assignment process was true of the wood boats, given the time gap between hull manufacturing and completion/delivery of a boat I can see where it could be possible for a boat to have a lower hull number than a same-model boat that was delivered earlier.
Marin
Attachments
P1000464A-1000.jpg
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:58 pm

That makes good sense and is most likely the case. PJ when we bought our boat it had much of the bright work covered with canvas, including the transom.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Sorry, misread the posts and thought there were duplicate hull numbers.

Marin is right. With the woodies, the hull number was assigned when the keel was laid. The year is determined by when first registered.

Often, a GB ordered for a customer is delivered before one built for inventory and so they may have different dates out of sequence.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member