Local Knowledge

Local Knowledge

Postby Don Prior » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Last weekend I was continuing my cruising to some of the smaller spots in the San Juan Islands that I have missed over the years.

I stopped at Orcas Landing, the ferry dock on the south side of Orcas Island, where I found good ice cream and an interesting General Store.

The big find was on Sunday when I stopped in the little village of Olga near Obstruction Pass on the east end of Orcas Island. They have a free village dock at the bottom of the main street.

The old Art Gallery at the top of the main street had a fire about a year ago but has now been refurbished into a very nice destination. There is a new café in the art gallery which is excellent. It is called Catkin Cafe and they have a website at www.catkincafe.com .

This café is worth a stop just for lunch if you are passing through the islands on the way to Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor or Sidney.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Don,

You can't beat local knowledge..... Within 3miles of my marina there is a beautiful small bay that we have visited and stayed over night many times. There are a couple of bouys owned by the hotel that are free moorings and a row ashore for cream teas is super in the afternoon.

We have told many about this secret little bay and the cream teas and now the problem is there's not enough bouys. Sometimes it's better to keep quiet.
:twisted:

We enjoyed Orcas Island last year with Bernie and Val.

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Tom

I thought of your comment before I posted this comment on the Catkin Café. The public dock in Olga only holds about four boats of Brassbounder's size. The first time I tried to stop there in early July I was too late by about 2 minutes. No room.

It does make it that much more of a success when you do get room at the dock.

There is lots of space to anchor out and go into the dock by dinghy but I did not have enough time to spare to launch my dinghy. I treated it as lunch stop on my way back to Anacortes which proved to be very successful. I will save my next visit until after Labour Day weekend when the crowds all head south back to Seattle.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Bella Grand » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Come On now Tom... Be truthful.. I bet there is a gin source nearby :shock:
John Hammond
"Bella Grand"
'91 36-972 Sedan
Bella Grand
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:07 pm

John

The local gin source is San Juan Distillery at Roche Harbor. They make Spy Hop Gin which is excellent if you can find some.

Fortunately there is a free tasting at their distillery near Roche Harbor every Saturday afternoon.

Of course they will close if they know Tom O is coming.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member