Roche Harbor Rendezvous 2015

Roche Harbor Rendezvous 2015

Postby e38sailorman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Message from the organizers yesterday said 85 boats coming, this is our first rendezvous, looking forward to it. When are folks heading to Roche? We are in Gig Harbor, plan on leaving Wednesday 5:30 or so, head to Blake Island, cop a buoy, hopefully, and then head on north with the ebb early Thursday.

Marc and Marilyn
GB 36 Europa Majic
e38sailorman

Postby bill.read » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:34 pm

We will depart Sandy Hook marina, (South Whidbey Island) at 07:00AM transiting Saratoga Passage, arriving at Deception Pass within 30 minutes of slack tide (11:30 AM). This will allow a cruise on the ebb tide to Deception Pass and a flood tide to Roche Harbor. It will be a long non-stop day all the way to Roche Harbor. Last year it was a 9 hour journey both ways with favorable tides transiting Swinomish Channel and La Conner. (minus tides this year will be no fun in the Channel). We choose not to travel the west side of Whidbey Island because of the regular occurrence of fog and rough water at the east entrance to the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Hope you have a great trip.

Bill & Carol
Pea Pod
1987 36 GB Classic
bill.read
Supporting Member

Postby rustylewis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Many people are arriving Wednesday. Roche Harbor is providing free moorage that night. My experience is that most folks arriving Thursday are there by noon or so. Blake Island to Roche Harbor is a long day. I think I would want to be in the San Juans Wednesday night if I could. If not, I would want to be in Port Townsend so I could get across the strait early in the morning.

Unfortunately, we are unable to attend this year.
rustylewis

Postby Don Prior » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 am

Brassbounder will leave Anacortes at approx 1330 on Wednesday. The planned route is through Thatcher Pass, Pole Pass and Spieden Channel to Roche Harbor.

In past years we have arrived in Roche Harbor in a large group picking up GB's as we go. :)

There are many photo opportunities along the way. I will take photos of any GB's I see and then try to find the Captains at the Rendezvous to exchange.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 am

I plan on leaving Kingston Wednesday morning to arrive at Deception Pass on slack water, then either cross over to Lopez Pass or go up Rosario to Thatcher Pass. This all depends on weather conditions at the time, but hopefully the crap will stay off the coast. :)
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby rustylewis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 am

I will take photos of any GB's I see ...

If you like, pass any great photos along to me and I will post them to the PSGBOA website. You can submit them through the site. I am always looking for photos from the rendezvous to post after the event.
rustylewis

Postby bill.read » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am

I forgot to state we are also heading out Wednesday morning....looks like a cloudy day coming and going (Sunday), but with the potential for sun for the Rendezvous
bill.read
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:46 pm

We hope to get out of the locks Tuesday afternoon, overnight at Shilshole, then head north early Wed AM, hopefully, weather permitting, riding the ebb out Admiralty inlet and a slight flood into San Juan Channel, arriving Roche around 4-5.

Yes it does make for a long day, but we are used to it. And the Admiral will be away on a business trip until Tues evening, so the crew and I must wait for proper supervision.

BTW, anyone planning on using the locks Tuesday afternoon, be aware they will both be closed Tues from 6PM to Wed 6AM.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Bjorn

If you are running a little late try calling Brassbounder when you are near Thatcher Pass.

I will be monitoring channel 16 and should be around Thatcher pass near 1330-1400.

Ken B, weather is looking good right now so I guess you will be "outside". If you come up San Juan Channel instead of Mosquito Pass we might be close. Try calling when you are around Friday Harbor or have the First Mate call :-) When the Admiral is not onboard do you have a "working crew" or a "passenger crew"?

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 pm

If you are running a little late try calling Brassbounder when you are near Thatcher Pass.
Don, I will unless I'm real late. I have to fly to Anchorage tomorrow and drive to Seward to oversee a repair job. Unless we run into a snag, I should be back by Monday next week. However, history have a tendency to repeat itself and I may find myself stuck in the land of snow and ice a bit longer than planned.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Fri May 01, 2015 11:29 am

We will be departing Bellingham at 1300 on Wednesday, transiting Peavine Pass around 1500, San Juan Channel around 1630, Spieden Channel around 1730 and expect to arrive around 1830.
Onesockbob

Postby GB42-267 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Well, I got back in time from the land of snow and ice and made it to the annual Rendezvous with time to spare yesterday. Again, we lucked out with the weather and the forecast is favorable for the rest of the week.
I wish to extend my gratitude to the all the good people putting this together and making this happen year after year. Kudos, and great job to all the volunteers that made this happen again, and I'm sure all the attendees will second this statement. Great job :!: :D
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Sun May 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Another successful Rendezvous!!

I made it home safely but I see the wind has picked up considerably on the west side of Whidbey Island.

I hope everyone is already home in Seattle as it might get rough out there?

Thanks to all the organizers. Thanks for the stories, the wine, the new ideas for woodies and the pleasure of everyone's company.

I know it was a lot of work so a great Bravo Zulu to all the organizers.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Yes, it was a bit lumpy once we left Rosario and headed into the eastern portions of the straight. Had to tack back and forth to keep from taking it directly on the beam, which kept us out there even longer. Not to mention we were bucking an ebb flow all the way back. But nothing got broken and no one puked. That was on of the few times that the actual conditions seemed to be worse than the forecast sounded.

Other than that, it was a great weekend. Many kudos to Terry for her success in organizing. She was fairly new to the board and did a superb job! Largest Rendezvous since 2008—85 boats.

Anyone want to post thoughts on the GB presentation? :?
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 pm

"Anyone want to post thoughts on the GB presentation? :?"

Sure, I am apparently not in the target demographic. Too bad they have abandoned us.
Onesockbob