Half Moon Bay cruise from San Francisco

Half Moon Bay cruise from San Francisco

Postby Bohemian » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 am

We're planning a cruise to Half Moon Bay from San Francisco in July and would appreciate hearing about your experience and any tips if you have made that trip. Thank you, Chris
Bohemian

Re: Half Moon Bay cruise from San Francisco

Postby K Dowling » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Kathy and I made this trip, and then some on to Santa Cruz and Monterey. On advice from my very experienced coastal sailing brother I evaluated three major obstacles.
1. Take the ship channel well past the shallows outside the gate before turning south. Ditto for the return. Bend this rule a bit if you have a sound understanding of how wind and tide affect these areas. They are deadly.
2. Be sure the period between waves, in seconds, exceeds the height of waves and swell in feet. We came home at 8 seconds and 8' which emptied the cupboards without landing a drop of water on the deck! You will likely have the swell on the stern going down and quartering on the way home. The boat can take it better than me. But, I would not go again in anything worse.
We had 1/4 mile visibility coming home and in the ship channel. AIS and radar were great. If you can, set up your radio, or perhaps your hand held, so you can monitor both 16 and the vessel control channel.
3. There is a shallow area well marked on your chart for coming and going south of Pillar Point, the harbor you will likely use. It should not come into play from the north.

We loved the challenge of this trip and the subsequent name dropping. Wait for the right weather and do it!
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
K Dowling
Supporting Member

Postby Noel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:48 am

Chris,
As you can see, we have a 42 G.B. Europa.
Our weather/condition criteria is as follows.
1. Wind: 20 kn. or more or forecast for 20 kn. or more/NO GO
2. Wind Waves: 3' or forecast 3' or more/NO GO
3. Swell: The period must exceed the height by 3 or more or/NO GO. this means if you will experience a 5'
foot swell then the period needs to be at least 8 seconds/10' swell period at least 13 seconds/ 30' swell
period at least 33 seconds and so on.
4. Combined swell and wind waves can compound the above conditions and GO/NO GO criteria.

This criteria, while very conservative, has served us very well all the way from San Francisco Bay to the top of Vancouver Island and back with no damage and only one drink coaster out of place the whole 90 day trip, considerably less than San Pablo Bay last Tuesday when we got the crap knocked out of us coming home from the Delta, when we didn't follow our own advice. DUH.

It's a great trip. Have fun and mind the shipping channel. K. Dowling has given sound advice on the outside conditions and handling of the routes down and back up.

Have fun,
Noel
Noel
Supporting Member

Postby Bohemian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 am

Thank you both for the valuable tips! Very helpful and much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Chris
Bohemian