Seasons in New England

Seasons in New England

Postby gbroughman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:01 am

I have lived in the tropics all of my life but find myself wanting to take my boat north for the summer. No plans as to where just yet. The cost and time of taking a large slow wood boat back and forth every year would be too much. Can anyone tell me what is involved with storing in the winter? Also say the Cape Cod area what is the true boating season weather wise. I am hoping to retire soon and start a new adventure
gbroughman

Re: Seasons in New England

Postby John Stevens » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:58 pm

gbroughman wrote:I have lived in the tropics all of my life but find myself wanting to take my boat north for the summer. No plans as to where just yet. The cost and time of taking a large slow wood boat back and forth every year would be too much. Can anyone tell me what is involved with storing in the winter? Also say the Cape Cod area what is the true boating season weather wise. I am hoping to retire soon and start a new adventure

No doubt there are endless destinations close together in New England. I have a 40' EB FB that I store in an unheated building winters. The effects of snow, ice and thaw cycles would raise hell with my teak decks. Many shrink wrap their boats. I've learned that saves about 25% vs inside storage. I like to tinker over the winter. I spend $65 per foot for storage in NH. Dockage can run you $115 and up per foot in NH. I expect the Cape would be higher. I launch in April and haul at the end of October. Expect 4-6 month long boating season. Now I am dreaming of wintering my boat down south as I retire. The New England winters are getting a bit old. Good luck!
John Stevens

Winter storage

Postby T_BOAT » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:22 pm

On the east shore of the northern Chesapeake you can find shed in water storage for $2ooo. To $2600 for winter. I have had more damage done with wrapping then I can bear. I will keep in shed storage or go south of Savannak from now on.
T_BOAT

Postby gbroughman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the info.
gbroughman