Grand Banks owner "exiled" to the USA - charter o

Grand Banks owner "exiled" to the USA - charter o

Postby rolf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 am

We've just moved to North Carolina (for my job) and have left our GB 36' Europa back in Denmark to be used as a base when we are home on holidays etc. We love living in the US, but we do miss sailing in our boat. We were reminded of this when we spent our first US thanksgiving in Charleston (SC) and drove past the beautiful marinas out there.

My question to you guys is thus: do you know of good and reliable yacht charter companies on the East Coast (the closer to Charlotte, NC, the better) where we can charter a Grand Banks (alternatively another type of yacht, possibly even sailing yacht for the fun of it)? We (I) will obviously captain it myself, so can I expect any requirements for documentation? I have all the necessary documentation for yachts upto 24m (~70 ft) in Europe, will this be accepted in the US?

Once I have found a good place to charter a yacht the next question becomes cruising area. I'd like to avoid the open Atlantic (we have two kids and don't want to expose them to Atlantic swell if we can avoid it) and I seem to remember reading elsewhere on this forum about some inland waterways up the East Coast. Any tips?
rolf

Charter

Postby bubbanoft » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 pm

There may be somebody closer but we have used Southwest Florida Yacht Charter, Ft Meyers, Fl. They have a variety of boats including GBs. It has been a while since we chartered from them but they are still around.
bubbanoft
Supporting Member

Postby Aliveinx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 am

Today I thought I had met. And the knowledge that can help me.
Aliveinx

Postby charlesglenn2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 am

The Chesapeake Bay is a great cruising area not too far from Charlotte. Try Oxford Yacht Agency in Oxford MD.http://oya.com/main. They have a 42 classic for charter and are very well respected in the GB community.
charlesglenn2