Cape May to C&D

Cape May to C&D

Postby Dave S » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Does anybody have any words of wisdom on transiting Delaware bay from Cape May Canal to the C&D canal? Thanks, Dave
Dave S
Supporting Member

Delaware

Postby T_BOAT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 pm

It can be real choppy. I always run up on the west side for a better ride. Go slow passing Chesapeake City on your Port side.
T_BOAT

Postby Sleepah » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:19 am

Every trip south (3) I have gotten stuck in Cape May by weather. There is an ideal state of tide to leave which insures a fair tide for the entire trip up Deleware Bay. Ask the locals when to leave. You may run into some big ships headed to Philly. I always leave the channel when I see them approaching. There is plenty of water out if the channel.

And don't slow down at Chesepeake City! Go in and tie to the nice long dock on your starboard side as you enter. It is free and there are lovely restaurants and a really great ice cream store nearby.

Bon voyage
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby roger and anne howell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 am

Hi,
We made the passage 2 weeks ago. Recommend leaving Cape May at the beginning of flood tide, and you can ride favorable currents all the way up the bay and thru the C&D canal. We do not attempt the passage with a north wind that exceeds 10 knots, southerlies and easterlies are fine. Stay out of the ship channel to avoid confrontations, just to the east over the flats is fine, but look out for oyster stakes, crab points and the occasional pound net. An alternative to Chesapeake City is the small city marina at Delaware City. The basin at Chesapeake City has soupy bottom, and this time of year you cannot count on the free dock as it is filled with cruisies. Have a good trip.
Roger and Anne
Headed south on the ICW, currently Kilmarnock VA
roger and anne howell