cruising guides

cruising guides

Postby ed taulbee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:12 pm

We are planning to leave the Chesapeake in early March headed to the Bahamas. Can anyone recommend the best cruising guides for 1) the intracoastal waterway and 2) the Bahamas?
ed taulbee

Postby shanti » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 am

we did the trip last year... i bought every book and guide available but ended up only using this one.. it was by far the best. The Intracoastal Waterway, Norfolk to Miami: The Complete Cockpit Cruising Guide, Sixth Edition [Paperback]
Bill Moeller (Author), John Kettlewell (Author)

the reason we liked it so much is that it has margins on the side of each page that detail EVERY bridge, opening, marina, etc all in mile order. We set our GPS odometer to 0 at mile marker 0 and followed along perfectly.

i just looked on amazon.com for this and they said they came out with a new edition that wasnt nearly as user friedly as the old one.. you may be able to find last year's edition on amazon...

also make sure you subscribe to activecaptain.com... it was invaluable. has real time fuel, navigation and marina info.

and cruisersnet.net same real time info from cuisers.

Have a great trip and take tons of picts.
shanti
Supporting Member

Skipper Bob knows what you need to know

Postby Sleepah » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 am

We wouldn't make the trip without Skipper Bob's books. He has three that would be required.

!. Anchorages along the ICW This tells you where you can anchor, where the bridges are, what VHF channel to call etc. etc. Once you figure out how it is organized, you will love it. Absolutely required.

2. Marinas along the ICW This tells you where to stay if you don't want to anchor out.

3. I lent someone my copy of Skipper Bob's Bahamas guide so I can't tell you the correct title. It tells you what to expect at Bahamian customs, how to handle the Gulf stream and a lot of general info. It doesn't have info on specific locations like the other two books above.

You'll love the trip. I might suggest that you take the Dismal Swamp route and be sure to take advantage of the Elizabeth City free docks and daily welcoming beer and wine reception. Usually they give women roses upon arrival too. A hard to beat stop to be sure.

Beaufort, NC city docks, Beaufort, SC (or Lady's Island if you anchor are great stops. Also Cumberland Island, GA and St Augustine, FL are great.

And in the Bahamas, we favor the Exumas by a large margin. Especially the Staniel Cay area.

Have fun and don't hesitate to contact me for advice. The admiral and I love the ICW and Bahamas and a GB is the way to see them.
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby tjlannan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:54 pm

I too would recommend the Dismal Swamp route. The Great Bridge lock operator has excellent advice (when asked). For a special treat ask him about playing his conch shell. He only plays it when asked. He will trumpet your departure from the lock playing his conch shell. All he asks in return is another conch shell (on your return trip) to add to his collection.
T Lannan
tjlannan

Dismal swamp route

Postby roger and anne howell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:26 am

Hi,
We transited this area in November. The tootling lock tender is at the Deep Creek lock, not Great Bridge. There is a great free dock just inside the canal on the right at Deep Creek. It's worthwhile to spend the night there, and go thru the entire canal the next day to Elzabeth City, thus avoiding the the raftup at the NC Welcome Center. In Elizabeth City,. rather than the City Docks, try the alongside tieup just inside the bridge on the right. It is controlled by the food service company on the premises, but all they require is a waiver. Much better protected than the City docks if the wind should go southeast. The gates are locked at 2100, which limits late night activities, but also limits dockwalkers. If you have time to deviate from the ICW, also recommend Edenton and Columbia further up the Albamare Sound.
Roger and Anne
Currently in the cold rain at Captiva FL
roger and anne howell

Postby Sleepah » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Roger and Anne,

Susie and I are nearby in the cold rain in a comfy slip at Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. Let us know if you get up this way. 508 858-9673

And we have a car that know the way to Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware and Publix.

Howard
Howard Means

'73 GB 42 CL #362

"SPARTINA"

Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Decker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Probably an unfair question but what is a reasonable time table for NYC to Florida heading south in the fall? Looking to join the snow birds one day...
Bruce Decker
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 am

it took us 14 days of moving... averaging 7 hrs underway per day from annapolis, md to fort lauderdale, all inside on the icw

i had a delivery captain bring the boat back, same route, hauling a$$ and did it in 9.5 full days ( sun up to sun down) he did get one day offshore

add 2-3 days to do NYC to annapolis... day one would be NYC to cape may, day two would be cape may to either northern bay or a long day striaght to annapolis...

if you can run off shore in the carolinas and especially georgia/ n florida you can save significant time. we were not able to do it because of weather, but a 36 hr straight off shore run from charleston to jacksonville,, would have cut 3 days off of our trip.

i would suggest a minimum of 3-4 weeks to take your time and explore places
shanti
Supporting Member