Cape May to Montauk in July

Postby ed taulbee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 am

We are planning a trip north from the Chesapeake in mid July. We have never made this trip before. We intend to travel "outside".

My question is about routing either from 1) Cape May to Montauk or 2) Atlantic City to Shinnecock Inlet.

Cape May to Montauk requires an overnight voyage. We think we are up to this but we wonder about the level of traffic transiting to and from New York that we will have to encounter.

Atlantic City to Shinnecock Inlet can be done in daylight hours. We wonder about entering Shinnecock Inlet in the late afternoon and the conditions of the inlet we might encounter.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. What is the weather likely to be mid July? What level of commercial traffic transiting to New York should we expect? What is Shinnecock Inlet like? Any issues with a night crossing that we have not thought about?
ed taulbee

Chesapeake north

Postby roger and anne howell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 am

Hi,
We have done the Cape May-Montauk ( really Block Island- Great Salt Pond) several times in our previous sailboat, but never in the GB. Prevailing summer winds are southwesterlies, so seas should be on the stern. Commercial traffic is not too bad, although you cross the traffic lanes to New York. I would not recommend Shinnecock, as it can become impassable on a strong onshore wind. Plus, you would have to exit the inlet and continue up the coast, as there is no way out of the bay (I would not attempt the Shinnecock Canal in a large boat). There is nothing really scary about running at night, there is not much to hit and the ships are all lit up. In our GB, we have always run up the Jersey coast, or if a strong north easterly came up, run up Barnegat Bay. Takes two days, but not a bad trip.
Good luck on your trip.
Roger and Anne
roger and anne howell

Postby K Dowling » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 am

As for traffic, consider adding AIS if you do not have it. It will help you manage what traffic you encounter with heading and intersect data, as well as the name of the ship you are seeing. Learn the vessel traffic VHF channels for the areas you plan to cross and monitor them.

cheers

Kevin
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
K Dowling
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 pm

we did this trip last year. Did fairlee creek to cape may. then next day departed 0900 and went straight around montauk and up to Newport. Made landfall about 6 am the next day. it was a great overnight trip. Not much traffic, but we crossed the traffic lanes about 50 miles from shore. not sure if it is busier closer to land. We did hit REALLY think fog from about 2 am to 10 am. Sometimes we couldn't see the burgee on the bow.
we then did block island, the vineyard, and worked out way down long island sound, thru NYC, then hopped down the jersey cost. Stopped in point pleasant, then ocean city nj, then cape may and then back to the chesapeake. Overall a great trip. let me know if you have any questions.

where on the bay are you?
shanti
Supporting Member

cape may to montauk in july

Postby ed taulbee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 pm

What time of year did you make trip and encounter fog?
ed taulbee

cape may to montauk in july

Postby ed taulbee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Sorry, I did not notice your question. The boat is presently in Oxford. Md. We are in Louisiana.
ed taulbee

Postby shanti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am

We did the trip in early July. You will hit fog in the North east. Just have a good radar and communicate with the other boats via VHF. When there was fog, captains would announce the position, speed and destination over vhf every couple of minutes... it made it easy to track people.
shanti
Supporting Member

Cape May To Montauk

Postby BRUCEK » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 pm

My wife and I have made this trip several times In you r GB 42 it is about a 22 hr trip depending on your speed.

You want to make your destination Block Island Great Salt Pond, if you really want to go to Montauk then go from Block island.

the rumbline course is 0067 and if you have a southwest breeze it's fun. North east wind would be on the nose and uncomfortable. Northwest breeze could be a lot of rolling. In otherwords the wind direction is the most critical element from my experience.

You are in sight of land for over 50% of the way as you will see if you look at the course.

My wife and I alternated two hour watches for the night portion.

Bruce
BRUCEK

Postby shanti » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 am

we are planning on doing this exact route leaving around july 21st. PM me if you are interested in making the trip together.
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby BRUCEK » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for the invite will have to decline because:

On June 16 we are setting out on Karrie GB 36-826 with destination of Rockland Maine. total trip of 603 nm.

Bruce
BRUCEK

Cape May to Montauk

Postby lirrbill » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:29 pm

I would go up the East River and down the LI Sound. There are many places to stop along the way and the Sound is always less rough. I'm in Huntington, you can make it a stop along the way.Also the view of Manhatten is one of a kind.
Billy D.
Le Grand Fromage
GB 36 #574
lirrbill
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Bill did your boat use to be in a charter fleet in Fort meyers? I chartered a 36 with the exact same name a few years ago.
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby lirrbill » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, I found out when I was in Essex Conn. several years ago. I ran into someone who also chartered it.
Billy D.

Le Grand Fromage

GB 36 #574
lirrbill
Supporting Member