getting armed for protection

getting armed for protection

Postby kainebob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:06 pm

My wife is sixty and I'm sixty-three and we're going to start some longer cruising. I'm not as strong as I use to be and I'm wondering if anyone carries arms or protection of any kind when anchoring in the middle of no where. I'm sure if I was going down to South America, I wouldn't think twice about it, but what about the east coast and the Bahamas? :?
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby wentwilly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Journey always has an AR-15 and several hundred rounds of ammunition aboard in addition to my .45 auto Kimber for dispatching unrully halibut, and the Admiral's .357. At various times of the year (hunting seasons) they are complemented by .45-70 Rugers or .338 Ruger to 6x55 Swedish Mauser .
wentwilly

journey

Postby kainebob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 am

Are you required to check in when you cross state lines? Have you ever been boarded by the CG or sheriffs and what were their comments? Ever cross international lines like Canada or Bahamas? We're really interested because it seems to make sense to us.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Keith Morris » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 am

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This site will help you for concealed carry laws and resiprocity between states. I don't know the answer to carrying on your boat, since it is a "residence" and I would think you need to check State laws for that. Canada despises handguns and it's very difficult to get permission to transport a a hand gun over the border...rifles and shotguns are much easier. Flare guns require no permit however, and one of those pointed at me would give me considerable pause if I was up to no good..
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

weapons aboard

Postby roger and anne howell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi,
We have completed the Great Loop on our GB, and two trips up/down the ICW to the Bahamas, and we have seen no need to carry weapons aboard. Even though Kilkenney Creek in Georgia looks a lot like the set for "Deliverance", the natives are friendly and non threatening. I personally would be more worried about going ashore after anchoring in the Washington Channel in DC, and wandering down 14th Street in the dark. As previously stated, a flare gun at close range is an effective deterrent (Remember the scene in the "Ipcress File"). We have a four cell Maglite mounted near the cabin doors that should both blind and bludgeon an uninvited guest. Pepper spray is considered a weapon in Canada, but aerosol wasp spray has a longer range, and more impact on the recipient, plus it is totally legal. In Canada and the Bahamas, with more restrictive gun laws, we never felt threatened.
Enjoy your cruise.
Roger
roger and anne howell

Weapons onboard

Postby tjlannan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

If you are boarded by the USCG they will ask you if you have and firearms on board. I would not normally advertise that sort of information over the VHF radio. (the bad guys have VHF radios too) Before the boarding officer arrives, get your firearms, unload them and place them in plain sight for the boarding officer. Preferrably in a location that is out of your immediate reach. I placed them in plain view on top of the rear stateroom bed. As the boarding officer steps aboard immediately advise him you have firearms and where they are located. The boarding officer will secure the firearm(s) for the duration of the boarding and return them to you once the boarding is completed.
T Lannan
tjlannan

great advice

Postby kainebob » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:59 am

I wouldn't have thought about notifing the CG in advance of their boarding. As it is, we live on the US-Canada border in NY and we're starting in St. Augustine in about a week, so we're going with the extra flare gun route. In NY, we have to apply for a pistol permit from the state, then there is a waiting period and interview, then education before actual procurement or licensing. We've been told it takes three to four months.

Thanks to all; this has been an interesting forum for us.

B
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby fogleew » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:22 am

According to legend, a 12 ga magnum pump shotgun w/ buckshot is supposed to the one most respected by criminals while still being classified as a sporting gun. However .... unless the entire crew is well versed in their use, no guns on board is the best practice.
Eric and Sharon Fogleman
Four Oaks, NC
fogleew
Supporting Member

Postby Sleepah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:40 am

Like the Howells, I have been up and down the ICW several times and all through the Bahamas. I feel safer in the Bahamas than in the USA. And I feel safe in the USA. Maybe I would keep an eye out in Nassau but who wants to go there?

I was boarded by the Bahamian Defense Force once in the Exumas. They had big pistols that banged my teak door frame as the entered through the narrow GB doors. They couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

No worries, Mon.
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member