Pets Aboard

Postby CrabGuy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:33 pm

My last pup, came with me for 13 of his 14 years, probably on the ocean more than many "fishermen"' this was on working fishing and crabbing boats,
Concern on scratching the finish was not needed!! Ha ha
The current 200#s of Rotwielers come with us now, they sure do love all the different smells on the water. A 2ft square of artifical turf with absorbent pads underneath works well. "Off the Hook" is far from pristine, so any small scratches are hard to discern form the previous 50 years of use.
I do know a lady how has 2 cats, a dog and some type of big bird, she lives aboard part time and sport fishes 4-5 times a month, pets and all.
Dello, the little cat has slipped and splashed a few times!!
CrabGuy
Supporting Member

Cats on Board

Postby Don Meginley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am

Liberty and Belle have cruised with us for months at a time and we do allow them on deck anytime, they climb the stairs to the fly bridge easily to join us while under way, and they have all too their claws. We do not have problems with scratching furniture, (have scratching posts in two locations). They are great crew and are terrific fun to have on board.

We pulled out the ice maker under the helmsman seat below in the main cabin, and modified the new empty space to hold the litter box, out of the way.
Don Meginley
MAGGIE MAY
GB 36 EUROPA (1992)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Meginley
Supporting Member

Re: Pets Aboard

Postby AllanKay » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm

I taught my puppy Scotty to use her artificial grass pads during the off season. She refused unless forced to. I expected the worst when going aboard the boat for the first time with her. To my surprise, she took to the pad without a hitch. There were simply no other options and she knew it somehow. Amazon sells these pads for dogs that include a plastic tray for containing her pee. Dump and rinse pads twice daily and no problems, but expect even the good dog to miss the edge sometimes. Keep a full bucket handy to rinse any misses away.
AllanKay
Supporting Member