Need Some help

Need Some help

Postby Long Story GB36 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 am

This topic might have been covered, but I am not finding it. We just purchased a 1977 GB 36. The shore power cord is a normal 30 AMP male and the prior owner or owners put a three prong 40 AMP or 50 AMP connector to go to the boat inlet.

Now the issue is that most of the outlets on the boat have the European style outlets in the cabin. These have a little adapter plugged into the two round pins that let you put a normal 110v item into them. The surveyor had an issue that there is no ground (this adapter thing does not pick up what looks to be the 3rd wire ground) The panel does have twin (tied together) breaker on the panel.

Trying to figure out how to switch out these receptacles to standard 15 amp US style. I figure I will need a surface box to support the new outlet.. but trying to figure out how to wire these. (or do I need to pull new wire) Also, with no screws showing how do you remove the European style outlet / switch combination?

Your help, with photos if you have them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
m/v Long Story
Long Story GB36

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Photos always help.

Is your boat wired for 110 VAC or 220 VAC?
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Long Story GB36 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Not to sound stupid, because I kind of know this stuff... but? The only power in is 110 V... given the two legs (twin breaker) I am thinking 220.. I know I have Port / Starboard outlets. Not sure if they just divided the leg, and picked up a ground...
Long Story GB36

Postby Long Story GB36 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:26 am

I must have sounded stupid...
Long Story GB36

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:50 am

photos?
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Long Story GB36 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:02 am

The boat is 120 miles away, in winter storage.. I will get some this weekend.

thanks
Long Story GB36

Postby Arch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Europe public utility power is 240 volts, 50 Hz. The outlet is hot and neutral with no ground since neutral is ground. It is in the US too, but codes require a separate ground wire. The key is to find out what is being delivered to the boat's power inlet. If you are using 120 volt appliances and lights you would probably know by now if the outlet is 240 volts, but you should measure it with a volt meter to be sure. The normal wire jacket color for European power is brown on GB Boats. To meet US standards you will need to add a ground wire and change the outlets. To remove the outlet unfasten the screw in the back of the middle of the outlet. If the boat is in fact wired for 240 volts you can use a step-down transformer. If you have some 230 volt equipment on the boat you may need to have both 240 volt and 120 volt outlets which is possible with a 2-tap transformer. In the US 220 volt power is delivered with two hot wires and one neutral at 60 Hz.
Arch

Postby Tom Overs » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Electrics for the Uk are ......

Live..... brown
Blue..... Neutral
Green-yellow ground.

If that helps in any way :?:

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member