West coast to East coast through Panama Canal

West coast to East coast through Panama Canal

Postby j patrick » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 am

Hello all. I have spent my entire life cruising the west coast of US and Mexico and have always wanted to do the east coast. I am looking for thoughts on east coast cruising vs west coast. I also would like to hear from anyone who has taken their boat through the canal. After looking at all the options, it looks like I would either run the boat through the canal or sell it and buy another on the east coast. (I know all you brokers will think the latter is great) Thank you for your ideas. Jim
j patrick

Postby kdibnah » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Sell and buy is a poor option, unless it is time to buy bigger better faster more etc etc. You are very familiar with your current boat and not at all with your next boat. I don't know how you like spending your time but you will have to "proof" your new boat if you plan to cruise and the probability is very high you will get, well, it won't be a very good experience.

Is the canal too difficult/expensive/dangerous/whatever to contemplate? I did the canal in the SS Himalaya in 1970 and it was a total hoot. Longest party I've ever attended. I would love to do it again, but cruise ships just aren't the same thing. Doing it in a GB would be the only way to improve on that first crossing.

In fact, take me with you!
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I agree with Ken - ship the boat across on a truck or take it around, whatever you feel more comfortable with - you know your boat -
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Panama Canal

Postby j patrick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks Guys. I am also of the opinion that the sell and buy option is not good. Commission on one end and sales tax on the other, and also better a witch you know than a devil you don't. I will be looking at all options and am not in a hurry. Thanks for your ideas. Interested in hearing all options. Thank you again. Jim
j patrick

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:43 am

You might want to get some prices for trucking to the West Coast before making a decision. A GB42 starts to get a bit large to truck economically from coast to coast, but it is doable.

Give Associated Boat Transport a call for cost estimates. They are the best IMHO. http://www.associatedboat.com/

A trip/cruise from Florida through the Panama Canal to the West Coast would be a fun trip. Allow at least a couple months or more for maximum pleasure and pick your weather windows.

I bought a GB48 in Fort Lauderdale back in the mid 1990s and had a crew bring it through the PC and around to Oak Harbor. They took the Windward Passage with a stop over in Jamaica against my suggestion that they take a more southerly/westerly route to and along the east coast of Mexico. But it all worked out well. They had no serious problems.

The worst was dealing with dirty fuel and fuel tanks, especially after hiring a "good" mechanic to check that and a host of other things out and have the fuel polished and tanks cleaned. He announced, that after his inspections, all was clean. NOT. Fortunately, I had dual Racors installed for each engine and the Gensets so along with plenty of fuel filters, they managed.

It would be a great experience for you! :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby j patrick » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks Bob. Glad to get your opinion. I just sent a request for a quote to associated boat so I will see what they say. I appreciate your giving a recommendation. It is starting to look like if this boat is the one I will have on the east coast, it will go on it's own bottom. Jim
j patrick

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Another option and a lot less distance trucking along with perhaps, less stringent regulations for the load, would be to truck from somewhere along the west coast of the US to, say, Texas and then launch in the Gulf of Mexico.

Would also open some doors to some very interesting cruising areas along the way. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm

When I first starting looking at purchasing a trawler, about 2001, found a 40' Kha Shing in LA and a 42' GB motor yacht in Hong Kong. The estimate I got was $7,000 cheaper to have the Gb brought to NY by freighter than to truck the Kha Shing to Texas. There were all kinds of expenses in the truck alternative such as removing the fly bridge, two companion cars with wide load signs and flashing lights, permits, etc. Wound up buying my GB close to home. Plan on doing the Pacific NW before I die but will charter a GB out there.
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member