Leyman 120's with 8000 hours running.

Postby Mikecambrai » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:41 am

The engines on a GB42 which I am hoping to buy, have done 8000 hours.
They ran sweetly and have no obvious signs of trouble.
Because they have been running rather than being stationary for long periods might in fact mean that they are in better condition than an engine used only for short runs.
Does anyone have experience of these engines which have run such high hours?
Mikecambrai

8000 hours

Postby bubbanoft » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:49 am

I don't have 1st hand experience but Bob Smith with American Marine who helped develop those engines would tell you that 8000 hours is just broken in good. Proper care will take them to 25,000 hours, according to Bob.
bubbanoft
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:41 pm

We have a 1988 powered by Lehman 135s with just shy of 6700 hrs. Not quite 8000 but they run wonderfully. Work them, don't just run them at the dock and think you are doing any good, take good care of them, run the RPMs up under load occasionally to burn off excess carbon and they should last you a long time if they are already in good condition. Ideally, about 100 hrs/yr is preferred, though we don't quite make that every year.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Mikecambrai » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Thankyou both for your reassuring information. It always helps to hear of the experience of others.
Mike Miles
Mikecambrai

Postby Don Prior » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Mike

Brassbounder has twin Lehman 120's with over 8,000 hours now.

I do not remember the exact number because I have changed the hour meters and would have to go back to my log to get the numbers from the original meters to add to the current meters. It is now over 8,000 and I will guess about 8,300.

No major overhaul on either engine. I have replaced oil coolers, transmission coolers, water pumps (fresh and raw), starters, rebuilt an alternator etc. over the last ten years. I also replaced both heat exchangers. All the outside equipment can be replaced by yourself with a little care and perhaps a helper for the heavier stuff.

The engines are fine but now due for injectors as I have a small amount of smoke recently.

As per all Lehman's, they do smoke on startup but once warm it goes away.

I confirm the comment from Bob Smith above. He has mentioned more than once than a first overhaul around 10,000 hours MAY be necessary. I doubt I will reach that. I used to do 300 hours per year but recently I have only been averaging 100 hours per year.

Hopefully this year will be higher :-)

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:03 pm

The Ford Lehman 120 (the Ford of England Dorset diesel is the base engine) is said to be a 12,000 to 14,000 hour engine in "recreational marine service." This is assuming the engine is serviced and maintained properly, is not abused and is operated within its ideal operating range (1500-1800 rpm).

The 25,000 hour figure is from a unique situation. Some of these engines were apparently used many years ago in some of the Puget Sound ferries in Washington State. Not to propel the ferries, of course, but running generators, pumps or some other auxiliary equipment. In this capacity they were run under a constant load and were inspected, serviced and maintained religiously. In other words, they were used under the ideal conditions for a long service life between overhauls.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:36 pm

I remember asking forum members about a GB we were looking at a few years ago that had 5000 hours on a FL and Bob Lowe jumped in saying - " it's just broken in "
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Re: Leyman 120's with 8000 hours running.

Postby bpbyrne » Wed May 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Elizabeth B has twin 120's with 12,000++ hours on them.
They seem to be in great condition, and an evaluation of the oil at purchase didnt shw anything significant.

She's new to us, so touch wood (not much choice on a '70 42 classic!), but all seems to be well so far.

Can anyone top 12,000 or am I the experimental sucker out here? :)
Brian
bpbyrne

Re: Leyman 120's with 8000 hours running.

Postby CowBay » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I like those numbers coming in! At that rate I can safely reach my 100th birthday before I worry about the Lehman.

We own a 1967 32 that had its engine rebuilt around 1500 hours in 1996. I always wondered about why it was done so early in its life. I managed to obtain the original logbook from then and lo and behold the reason became clear.

It read: left dock at 7 am, fished for five hours went home, day after day at near idle speed killed it. The entry describing the rebuild said it looked like sand had been in the oil pump. An expensive lesson in operating rpm's

In my job we maintained many diesel power plants on mountain top radio sites. Keep the engine loaded up in its range, and run it up every now and then to extend it's life! We had many 30-50 year old Gen sets that ran like new.
CowBay