4 x GB Brass berth lights.

Equipment and vessels for sale.

4 x GB Brass berth lights.

Postby noiseboyuk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:18 pm

I am thinking of replacing the four brass berth lights on my 2004 CL42 with similar chromed lights.
Anyone interested in the originals ?
They are in exceptionally good condition with no marks, scars etc. and the lacquered finish is perfect.
The chrome replacements (Calibra Marine, Denmark) appear to be the same size and quality - and cost €190 ($215) each.
How about $550 for the set of four original brass lights ?
I’m based in the UK.
Email: muffinthemule56@aol.com
noiseboyuk

Re: 4 x GB Brass berth lights.

Postby FrugalWife » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 am

Have you checked out LED replacement lights? I bought a pair and are quite happy with them; they are available in brass or chrome at a lower price point than you are paying. They are by AlpenGlow: www.alpenglowlights.com
FrugalWife

Postby noiseboyuk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks for the LED light info.
Unfortunately, the LED light option suggested is quite a lot smaller than the original design.
I quite like the original size and design - they are very robust, much better than anything else we’ve seen elsewhere - it’s just that ours are brass and we want chrome or stainless steel.
Incidentally, “Calibra” are the UK distributors of the originals. Cabin Marine of Denmark are the manufacturers. Thanks again.
noiseboyuk

Postby Chesapeake » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Have you looked into having your existing lights chromed at a plating shop?
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby noiseboyuk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Although I’ve not checked it out - I suspect that re-plating in chrome might be a difficult job.
I would think that all the component parts (including swivels, knurled nuts etc.) would need to be disassembled and electrical connections and bulb holder removed.
The existing brass is lacquered and the inside of the lamp reflector is enamel white - so stripping the lacquer and re-enamelling could be a pain.
Probably a lot less hassle to buy chrome versions (even at the premium price) - that’s assuming I can sell the brass ones to offset the cost.
noiseboyuk