Grand Banks Logos

Equipment and vessels for sale.

Postby Old Frog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank your for you time & efforts on this.
Last edited by Old Frog on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Frog

Logos

Postby Bryant » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Barry L wrote:I received the logo today and it is a work of art. Hard to believe it is plastic. It is very polished and highly reflective. I will not spend the time to polish my casts as it will only add costs. They will be sanded flat and if anybody wants theirs polished they can have at it. It looks like the one in Onesockbob's post was sand cast. I do ceramic shell castings which will result in a smother surface. I think the best thing will be for me to cast a pair so that I can calculate the actual cost and then post pics of what they will look like.
Looking forward to it!
Barry

I'm looking forward to see what you can do. I would like to have these when you make them. Thanks for your work!
Bryant

Postby Barry L » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:08 am

They are just under 6" x 8".
Barry
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am

Thank you!
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member

Grand Banks Logos

Postby tleath » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 pm

Barry, I may be overly cautious, but as a lawyer I tend to worry about stuff. You may want to check with Grand Banks to see if there is any prohibition on your making and selling these. Just saying....

Tom
MANAGING
1972-266
tleath
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Barry's work
Attachments
barry 1.jpg
barry 2.jpg
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby Rick O » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Looks great
Rick O
Supporting Member

Postby JEDB777 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:13 am

If it's not to late to be added to the list I would be interested in a pair.

Thanks
Joe
JEDB777

Logos

Postby Bryant » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:57 pm

grich737 wrote:Barry's work

Looks great! Can't wait!
Bryant

Postby Barry L » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 am

Ok Guys, here is an update. I have poured a few waxes and have a fair success rate. Wax is very difficult to rework (and have it look good) so if the wax casts don't come out perfect back in the melt pot they go. I have poured five good ones out of seven tries. This is easy stuff, melt the wax, pour it into the mold, let it cool, pop it out of the mold. It just takes time so I usually do this while I am also working on something else. I have taken the first four good wax casts and "treed" them up. They are attached to a wax coated plastic cup which has a threaded plate embedded in it. In this case there is no main sprue, the logo it attached to the bottom of the cup with a wax spacer bar. This bar will make it easier to cut the logo away from the cup once every thing is bronze. The little wax bars separating the two logos are only to keep the wax structure ridged during the shell making process. The wax rods at the top going back to the cup are vents to allow the air to quickly escape when the molten bronze is poured into the mold.
So what you see in wax will be encased in a ceramic shell and fired in a kiln. The ceramic shell will vitrify and the wax will disappear, leaving a cavity inside the shell in the shape of the loge. Bronze will be poured in, the shell will be broken off, the cup and other extras will be cut off, the logos will be blasted clean, and defects dealt with, mounting holes drilled, and just like that.....we have logos.
Unfortunately family calls so I will be away from the foundry for a spell so progress will be halted. Also My computer is in the hospital and there is no photo shrinking software on this computer so I am going to send the few pics I have so far to Greg and he might be able to post them.
Thanks to everyone
Barry
Barry and Debbie

"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Barry pictures

Postby grich737 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Barry asked me to post

Last pics for a while, we will be on the road for two weeks.
First pic is of two logos treed together. Second pic is after the first ceramic shell dip. There will be five or six more dips, one a day, until a sufficiently thick coating has been built up.
Attachments
Barry 3.jpg
barry 4.jpg
grich737
Supporting Member

GB Logos

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Wow! They look marvelous. I can't wait!!!

Thanks.
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:24 pm

We are back home so progress has started again. I have 8 of the plaques in the shell room, 4 sets of 2 each. I will finish the molds and pour these before making any more. I want to make sure my gate system works ok before I get too far along. So if these come out well and the guys from Grand Banks don't come carry me away I should be able to make 8 plaques a week until everyone who wants a pair is able to get a pair. Still holding out on giving out a price until I see how much time finishing the bronzes takes.
Thanks for everyone's patience.
Barry
Barry and Debbie

"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby djleu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am

If its not too late, I'd love a pair. If it is too late, I certainly understand! Thank you!

Don
Don and Debbie Leu
Change of Latitude
42 CL - 2005 - #1549
Bellingham, WA and Waterford, CT
djleu
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:03 pm

I want to thank every one for the kind words and the support that my little foundry needed. Even though it was built as a retirement hobby and I do not rely on it for any type of income there are lots of consumable and operating expenses. The income from these these logos will help support Outbackfoundry for a while.
Anyway the first four sets are complete and have been shipped (except for Greg's because I need a shipping address). The second pour was today and it looks like all 6 sets came out well. These all have homes. I am working on the shell molds for the next six sets and none of these are spoken for as yet. So if you guys want still are interested please send me an email (barryluke36 at.gmail.com. Also in order to help this old man keep all of this straight please include the name of your boat in the email.
Thanks Barry
Outbackfoundry.com

ce
Barry and Debbie

"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member