2008 Puget Sound GB Rendezvous

2008 Puget Sound GB Rendezvous

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Put it on your calendars! The 2008 Puget Sound GB Rendezvous, the largest GB rendezvous in the world, will take place May 15-18, 2008. We will again commandeer the north float at beautiful Roche Harbor Resort on San Juan Island (http://www.rocheharbor.com/). For those who missed it, take a look at the link on our website (http://www.psgbowners.org/) to see a slide show from last year’s event where we had over 120 boats and over 300 attendees. We were graced with boats from one of American Marine’s earliest, the classic 1961 “Chantyman” (see Spray Magazine) to a 72 Aleutian and everything in between. And it just gets better every year.

This year, we are happy to be having Steve D’Antonio, PassageMaker Magazine’s technical editor join us to share his extensive knowledge of boat systems. We will also once again welcome Bob Smith from American Diesel to awe us with his knowledge of diesels and the Lehmans in particular. Plus we are working on a special guest for the Thursday night “early arrival” bonus program. Seminars, vendor booths, training sessions, GB dealer display, parties, entertainment, and of course the “Monster Raffle”. What better way to kick of the season! Registration packets will go out to our members around mid-March. Stay tuned.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Rondy

Postby wentwilly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Hello-would it be acceptable for a non menber to charter a GB in Bellingham and attend the Puget Sound Rondezvous in May? Some years remain before our 42 "woodie" is ready to Journey that far-Willy
wentwilly

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 am

Willy, I PM'd you
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 am

Willy

I will invite you. I need to show you my latest upgrade. I had the cabin painted.

Why don't you just join the PSGBOA as it does not cost anything anyway.

Anyone who can visit Oak Harbor from Alaska is welcome to Roche Harbor.

There is a nasty rumor that Tom O might show up from UK.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Lagos
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 am

:twisted:
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:01 am

Don Prior wrote:There is a nasty rumor that Tom O might show up from UK.

There's another nasty rumor that if he does, I may put him to work serving Guiness. :twisted:
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 am

Only serving....... Harumph!

First I need a promise of a bed, Ken has only offered the lazarette or the dogs basket!

8)
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:59 am

Disparage not the dog's basket. Have you seen it? It's quite nice and cozy. Plus I'd inquire as to whether that also means you get to be led around on a leash by Sonia. 8)
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Rendezvous

Postby wentwilly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:38 pm

Just did the registration-far north contingent of Puget Sound! Have to work on finding a boat to run-thanks!
wentwilly

Postby Don Prior » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 pm

Willy

Glad you are coming. I hope to be there as well if I can arrange my travels to be free at the right time.

Tom, you should be so lucky as to spend the day with Sonia. :wink:

Willy and Tom, please stop by for a G&T. Ken will supply the Guiness.

Fair winds

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Lagos
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Willy. Glad to have you aboard. And, unless you are just dying to actually be on a boat, you can reserve a room at the hotel on shore. Looking forward to seeing you. Our plans are gelling nicely and I'll post an update here soon.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby J.J.Jones » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Ken,
I just spoke with the folks at North Island Boat in Skyline and they are anxious to be sponsors/exhibitors at this years event.
I told them Susan would be intouch but they have not heard from anyone. I do believe they talked to you at the boat show.

North Island Boat has just about finished my hydraulic folding mast system and I know they are excited to show it off at this years event. It is really slick and a must for anyone who has a covered slip or boathouse.
I am going to take some pictures this weekend and post them in the repair section.
J.J.Jones
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:07 am

JJ,

Thanks. I indeed did speak to the NIB guys at the show and I understood that Susan also spoke with them later in the week. Perhaps with someone other than the person with whom you have spoken? But I will check in with her to make sure.

Yes, he told me about your rig. I am quite jealous and anxious to see it. Sounds quite nice ($$$?). Naturally, I just had mine rigged for lowering, though mine is totally manual. Post pics when you can.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby J.J.Jones » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Ken,
Not too expensive at all, but of course it is all relative. The entire bill for engineering, fabrication, installation, and check out less than $3,500, which included the Hydraulic/electric motor and rams, all the wiring, switches, etc to make it work.
They have a great design and I am certain they will do a fair number of these projects. It was just getting a little too hard to lower the mast manually and raising it by myself was difficult. Also I intend to put a KVH sat dome on the mast adding another 19lbs. The hydraulic rams are capable of generating 5500 pounds in the up direction.
J.J.J.
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Are you ready to Rendezvous? :P Registration forms are in the (e-)mail and our wonderful and devoted volunteers have all been busy trying to make me look good (not an easy job). So here's an update.

Thursday evening for our early-arrival bonus program, we will welcome Shing Kong from San Francisco. His father was one of the first engineers hired by American Marine Ltd. and eventually became the Production Manager at the Hong Kong yard. Shing will be sharing his pictures and stories from the early days at the yard. Some of you woodie owners may even see your baby being born.

Friday and Saturday programs include our long-time friend Bob Smith with his women's-only engine seminar and his usual hardcore session. He will again be bringing his Lehman demo engine. We will also welcome Barbara Marrett to speak about provisioning, Lisa and Myles Magnuson to tell us how to stay in shape on board, and Margo Wood, of Charlie's Charts fame, to share insights on cruising the Gulf Islands and points north. Our featured speaker will be Steve D’Antonio, technical editor of PassageMaker magazine, who will offer his expertise of boat systems and also conduct a roundtable discussion of failed components with his own collection of visual aids (broken bits).

We are working on fire extinguisher and cooking demos, hopefully not to occur concurrently :shock: , a possible “flare-off” (pending USCG approval) and a guided tour of the Westcott Bay Sculpture Park. And no Puget Sound Rendezvous would be complete without the popular First Mate’s on-the-water training led by the skippers at Passage Maker Yachts (space is very limited), the State-of-the-Yacht address by GB corporate, the dinners and enthralling entertainment, vendor displays and of course the Monster Raffle.

In addition this year, we are working on making this a more family-friendly event and will be organizing some youth activities if enough of you bring youngsters along. So, grab the kids, wash the boat and be ready when that registration form arrives.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member