2013 Rendezvous

2013 Rendezvous

Postby Don Prior » Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Well, another Rendezvous successfully completed.

In spite of the bad weather forecast for Sunday everything worked out very well. Ken B, thank you for laying on the good weather as promised :lol: The forecasted bad weather with wind, rain and small craft advisory on Sunday did not materialize (at least for me) so I assume everyone made it home okay.

I have not heard of any incidents going either way which is unusual as usually someone has a problem. No one is confessing anything so far.

I would like to thank all the volunteers and sponsors for a great Rendezvous. I know it can not happen without the organization and the sponsors and that takes people and time. I hope the volunteers are proud of what they accomplished and the sponsors received full order books.

I did not make it to all the lectures due to conflicts with talking, dock walking and beer drinking but the ones I did make it to were excellent. Vance gave a nice picture of the east coast cruising which is so different than wilderness cruising on the west coast. There seemed to be more children this year which is good for the GB future and there were many more dogs on the dock. Popcorn has been visiting the Rendezvous for years!

The Admiral was happy and did not spend too much at the spa and did not damage NW Explorations' beautiful GB 42 during the WOW class.

The information supplied by Grand Banks was very candid and appreciated. I believe the "new management" have the right ideas and certainly have a good attitude about listening and learning rather than preaching. A Chairman who is willing to travel up the west coast of Vancouver Island in early May is definitely an asset to the organization.

I hope Ken B. and Vance give an account of having a visitor to the Rendezvous from the east coast. I believe this is something that could be expanded in the future to everyone's benefit. Maybe delegates from other GB organizations? I know Tom O. would like to return and has made comments about next year?

I had a great time and would like to say again; Thank You to all who made it happen.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes. Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Don, I didn't make it this year (again) since I'm in the middle of a major vessel project in Vancouver-BC. :( I was hoping to get away for a few days last week, I was even considering a day trip by car just to walk the docks for the day, but no such luck. However, how about some photos to soften the blow and lift me up a bit. :)
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby rustylewis » Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 pm

We had a great time at the rendezvous as well. You can find a few posts about it on our blog. http://blog.mvarchimedes.com.

And the photo gallery is here.

http://blog.mvarchimedes.com/photo-gall ... vous-2013/
rustylewis

Postby Don Prior » Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 am

Bjorn, you and Debbie were noticeable by your absence. I was looking forward to seeing your progress on the varnish that you promised last year :lol:

I did not have a camera this year so unfortunately we will both have to wait until someone posts pictures.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I have now made an entry in my work calendar to let everyone know I'll be unreachable the second week of next year (I tried to do the same for this year but it didn't work). Most all of my brightwork is up to standard but I have a couple of windows issues in desperate need of attention. With the slow progress I've made over the last couple of years,we should be completely out of the ugly duckling category in another twelve months and be representable. :)
Keep the photos coming, they gives me the inspiration I need to keep moving ahead.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Looks like everyone is having a great time sorry we missed it there's always next year
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 am

As Don said, it was a great event again. We too had smooth sailing most of the way back, including the Straight of Juan de Fuca, which was smooth as glass. The worst conditions were between Point No Point and approaching Edmonds, where we dropped off Vance for the next leg of his journey.

He was a pleasure to have along, both as a passenger up and back and as a guest speaker and attendee. I will let him speak to his experiences, but, as I told him, it was a nice change of pace to have a little extra testosterone along for a change to offset my hormone-rich crew.

This seemed like a more relaxed event even than the last couple of years, and I really enjoyed it. I believe we had a new record for first-timers, something on the order of 13 new attendees. Roche continues to put on an amazingly well-orchestrated event and our crack team of volunteers did an outstanding job.

I agree with Don that the new Chairman of the Board of GB was refreshingly candid and forthcoming about the past challenges and future goals of the company. But he also emphasized that he was listening carefully to all the comments he was getting regarding what our members would like to see from GB and would take those comments back to the board to, as he put it, adjust the company's waypoints.

All in all, a great weekend. It was great to see everyone and hope to see many of you out on the water over the coming months.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Vance Nelson » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 am

I returned home to Upper Michigan last night where the leaves are just starting to bud out on the trees. Snow is now only in spots on the north facing hillsides.

I would like to thank all of the folks at the Rendezvous who took the time to talk with me and to give tours of their boats. The Rendezvous has been a bucket list item for me for a few years now and was a really enjoyable experience. Special thanks to Ken B. for the ride to and from the event.

It was fun to meet some of the folks that are on this forum and put faces to the names.

I stopped by Fisheries Supply and bought new fuzz strips for my windows. I had called them a couple of times about the strips and they did not think they had them. When I got there three people said they did not have them, then whoo hoo - talked to a young lady that showed me where they were.

After the Rendezvous, I stayed with an Air Force buddy I had not seen in 42 years. Picked up right where we left off except the conversation switched from pediatrics to geriatrics.

Again, thanks to all of you at the Rendezvous that helped make it a memorable event for me.
Vance - Superior Dreams GB32-340
Vance Nelson
Supporting Member