Madisonville wooden boat show

Madisonville wooden boat show

Postby jrl1953 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Anyone planning on the Madisonville boat show?
Bobby Lott

GB42-286
Daphne, Al
"what was I thinking"
jrl1953
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:45 am

Bobby
We will be there as will Skipper Post and there are usually 6 other GBs. It is a good time and the boat owners are treated very well. I hope you will come.
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby jrl1953 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm planning on making the trip. I'm not quite finished with the boat but it is presentable. I may need some information on how to get there. I plan on running the ICW I guess to the lake, from there I'm at a complete loss. I'm docked at Point Clear, Al.
Bobby Lott

GB42-286

Daphne, Al

"what was I thinking"
jrl1953
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:50 am

Great! You should get a chart of the lake. A couple of things to know. Watch for shallow water south of Goose Point, it will show up on the chart. I can easily pass under the 4 mile hump under the Causeway if I put my mast down, that will save you a few miles. And when entering the Tchefuncte River make sure you follow the markers. Heading straight in will get you in trouble. At the boat show they will back you in so be sure to bring some sort of ramp. Last year I brought lumber and built one on site and covered it with carpet. It worked well. Try to come late Thursday or early Friday, the wall fills up and the shore power is some what limited. Once you arrive grocerys and restaurants and ice are all within walking distance.
Barry and Debbie

1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198

"Grand Travail"
Attachments
IMG_3515.jpg
IMG_3550.jpg
Quick and Dirty Boat race. The boats are built on site on Saturday and paraded and raced on Sunday. They must sail one leg and be paddled one leg. Some of them make it, some do not. Alcohol is involved. Best boat name last year "The Economy" &qu
IMG_3501.jpg
Crossing the lake
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby jrl1953 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks for the info. I attended last year but did not bring my boat. I had it only about 3 weeks prior to the show. I enjoyed it very much just looking at the other GB's. I got some good ideas and advice from several people. As you know it takes, time, effort, and MONEY. It seems to be a slow process, get one thing fixed and something else pops up. But in general the boat is at least presentable now and mechanically sound at this point. I've made several trips, the longest so far being about 70 miles with no problems. So I look forward to the trip and plan on leaving on the Monday prior to the show.
Bobby Lott

GB42-286

Daphne, Al

"what was I thinking"
jrl1953
Supporting Member