2009 rendezuous or You can’t always believe a Brit…

2009 rendezuous or You can’t always believe a Brit…

Postby the Quietnorth » Mon May 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I picked up Tom and Babs (Overs) last Wednesday evening in Oak Harbor, from there we drove up to Birch Bay. They spent the night on “the Quiet North”, after breakfast the following morning we left for the GB rendezvous.

Tom and Babs should be heading home about now and I just wanted to get in the first word.

Very likely Tom will post something when they get home and because he has a tendency to exaggerate a little, let me just say that:

The seas were not that big on the crossing, (3 to 5 ft rollers with maybe the odd big one) Tom will say that it was just like home (something about rough seas around the UK). When he asked “is it always like this” I answered “it’s always rough and it rains everyday”. Undeterred he said “okay mate, just like home”. :)

When the fuel line plugged, the rocks weren’t that close (not at first anyhow). Tom will complain that he and Babs almost bought the farm on Eric’s boat.

It only took few seconds to switch the Racors and we were on our way… Tom will say, sure but the boat quit again within a couple of minutes (suggesting that both filters were now plugged). The truth is the engine ran fine 10-15 more minutes before stopping for the second time.

Upon further inspection we found both Racors were clean, however both were empty (no fuel) and yes the tanks were full and valves open to the filters.

As it turns out a small (very small) piece of plastic had lodged in the tee that feeds both Racors. Just guessing that it was picked up during the last fueling. Both tanks were cleaned in 2007 and the fuel polished. We removed and flushed the lines just to be sure that we got all of the “stuff” out. Tom actually found the plastic, though I did have to supervise his work just in case he missed something.

Bottom line, duel Racors as good as they are, are no guarantee if they have a “common failure” point such as a tee.

I will be making a change to eliminate this type of failure. :idea:

So now you have some of the facts, just see if Tom embellishes this simple rather uneventful crossing to Roach Harbor…

Both Tom and Babs were GREAT sports about it even though Tom will likely suggest that I tried to kill them. Babs was able to keep her cool even when Tom and I lost ours.

Thanks to all for a great time at the rendezvous (pictures to follow)
Eric & Melinda
The Quiet North
GB 36CL #735
Birch Bay Village
Washington
the Quietnorth
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm

he has a tendency to exaggerate a little Moi how dare you!

The truth... It was a bumpy trip in clear skys and nothing that the crew from Little Ship weren't use too! but Quiet North was plodding along very quietly when she went an awful lot quieter... Yep the engine stopped. The Capt of QN thought that we had caught something around the prop and rudder as he couldn't move the rudder.........

Lesson one,.... it helps when you turn off the auto pilot :oops:

The Capt then descended into the cleanest engine room I have ever seen :shock: and turned the racor filter over, I remember thinking that was a neat trick! he then started the engine.
The truth is the engine ran fine 10-15 more minutes before stopping for the second time. Oh no it didnt it ran for about 30 seconds.

Said Capt then decended once again only to rush past the visitors and throw something over board.......... I think it was breakfast! :P

Lesson two .... Rolling seas and the smell of diesel don't mix well :wink:

Well that gave me the opportunity to have a look in the engine room. OK I didnt have a clue what all the pipes were jeepers there were thinks down there I have never seen (no bilge ferrets were to be seen)

Now the shore line.......... lets just say that it was'nt sand and it was getting very close..........

A little 8 hp engine on a Dingy tied to the side doesn't move a 36 Grand Banks very fast against a rolling sea. The Capt of Little ship had to use his considerable weight by standing on the edge of the dingy to prevent it from tipping in the seas, the Admiral of Little Ship stood at the helm of QN and steered us into a beautiful bay.... well it would have been if we weren't having difficulties.

Lets pick up that mooring and I tried with all I'm worth to hold onto it....

Lesson three drop the anchor thats what it's for
I think I'm now 6'2" again but I have arms that touch the ground! :oops:

Clearing the blockage was easy once we were in a safe anchorage and as the Capt said it was a piece of plastic which after removal let QN cruise along in beautiful surroundings which for some reason were very calm and non threatening after the event.

Well, the Admiral of Little Ship was, as she always is, attentive and able when stuff goes wrong and did a great job of helming QN into the bay but......

Lesson four dont let the Admiral have her nails done before a trip she picked off all that very expensive nail polish whilst we were trying to stay off the rocks.........

It all turned out OK in the end but could have been a lot worse under the circumstances and as the Capt said even dual filters didn't help the matter as the blockage was on the tee!

I know that Eric will be spending days in the bilges cleaning spilt diesel, his Admiral will see to that.

Me, I'm going to report him to the Ferret society there was not one scrap of flotsam for them to sleep on down there.... :twisted:

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Nothing beats a little excitement as long as the end is good. I believe every year we have someone getting in some kind of trouble and so far it has all ended good. :)

Once, it was me and the Admiral will never forgive me for it, so you can count yourselves among the lucky ones. :D

I want pictures, a lot of pictures!!!!!!

Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Bjorn
I am sure that many will post photos but here is one I like......... it should have been taken at high water though!

Sorry you could'nt make it...... there were a few faces I wanted to meet that didn't turn up this year!

Maybe Next year :P

Tom
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Attachments
100_0634.JPG
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Bella Grand » Thu May 21, 2009 3:30 pm

I am one of those No-Shows. Wish i could have made it, especially with Roalty in town.
John Hammond
"Bella Grand"
'91 36-972 Sedan
Bella Grand
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Bella Grand wrote:especially with Roalty in town.

Referring to GB CEO Bob Livingston or the infamous Tom and Babs Overs? :wink:
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Bernie Tresner » Thu May 21, 2009 6:49 pm

The trip to Roche Harbor was even more frightening than either Eric or Tom will tell. These pictures seem to tell the true terror that Eric, Tom & Babs were subjected to in their perilous crossing and catastrophic mechanical failure.

You will note that Tom is unable to stand-up straight, shows great pleasure at being on the docks and that alcohol is present in every picture. This to calm the nerves, me thinks. :P
Attachments
GB Rondezvous 2009 112c.jpg
GB Rondezvous 2009 041c.jpg
GB Rondezvous 2009 097c.jpg
Bernie Tresner

Postby kdibnah » Thu May 21, 2009 10:47 pm

I was a no-show too - I'm sorry that Babs and Tom travelled all the way to Roche for nothing! Next time Sonia and I will try and be there!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. We are both very sad to have missed this year's event. We also miss seeing the only friendly US Customs gang left down there. And we miss not seeing Ken's clutch of scallywags, to see how much they've grown. Oh well, hope to get back there once again before they are married off...
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 pm

OK, well you mentioned them so, as a proud Papa, I'll have to share these two shots of the oldest as she takes to the water like a fish—last year it was snow-skiing that just clicked with her, this year it was the kayak. She was all over that harbor! And doesn't she make a sight at the helm? Better hurry back, Ken. They're growing up fast! And the twins even like dogs now!
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
Attachments
DSC04899.jpg
Piloting down Puget Sound and dodging freighters.
DSC04881.jpg
At one with the water.
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Fri May 22, 2009 5:39 am

especially with Roalty in town

Is this another Americanism!

Royalty, Aluminium, Tyres, Harbour I can see this is going to take a while.

:twisted: :P :P :P

Tom

Bernie..... I'll get you for those photos! :roll:
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Attachments
GB Rondezvous 2009 107c.jpg
Larry and Mo !
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby the Quietnorth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Tom you forgot this guy
Eric & Melinda

The Quiet North

GB 36CL #735

Birch Bay Village

Washington