2009 Rendezvous

2009 Rendezvous

Postby Don Prior » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:57 am

In the past many GB's on their way to the Rendezvous have over nighted in Oak Harbor. As in previous years the Oak Harbor GB's would welcome anyone who would like to stay over on Wednesday night before the Rendezvous to join us at the Oak Harbor Yacht Club for whatever is on that night.

I have not been there myself for awhile but it is usually Steak or Chicken on the BBQ on Wednesday evening. JJ, if you are in the area could you please check and let us know??

I will be there with a car and I am sure others will be available if there are any last minute logistics problems. We then leave for Roche Harbor on Thursday morning at about 0800 to be at Deception Pass by 1000 to catch the ebb current under the bridge. I have not calculated the current at the bridge on that date yet but I think we have made it for the last two years by leaving just before 0800?

It is a good photo op leaving Oak Harbor as a group and travelling in convoy to the bridge. I think we had 8 GB's last year and 12 the year before. If anyone is interested please let us know and we will try to arrange slip reservations with the harbour master.

Larry and Pam are you going to be visiting from Houston for the Rendezvous?

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in London.
Attachments
brassbounder 001.jpg
Leaving Deception Pass for Thatcher pass
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 am

Don,

I just did a quick tide check for 5/14 and slack at Deception is 6:08 and 1:08. Just FYI
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 am

Ken

Does that mean there is an ebb between 6:08 and 13:08?

That would be okay. Leave Oak Harbor around 0800 and arrive at Deception Pass around 11:00. Flush through on the ebb. Slow down a bit if you do not like fast rides and go through around 1200 for a very reduced ebb.

Ken, will you be in Oak Harbor on Wednesday night or are you going earlier?

Remember the trip through Oak Harbor and then Deception Pass or Laconner can bypass the excitement of a beam sea in the Straits.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in London
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 am

Yes, ebbing between 6 and 1 with max ebb current of just a tick under 6 knots at 10:21.

Not sure yet when I'll be heading up. Depends on whether Bill (this year's Rendezvous Chair) needs any help Wed evening/Thurs morning setting up. Will let you know. After this year and my "semi-retirement" from the board (one more year as Past Pres) , I can go back to a more relaxed schedule.

Yes, I remember that delightful trip a few years ago across the straight with 6' beam seas and a 35 knot wind on our port. My wife also remembers her quick trip back to hug the aft head. However, if conditions are decent, the straight route does cut about an hour and a half off our trip if we need to make it all in one day.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Stabilizers will take that roll out quite nicely and your wife would love you for it. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:Stabilizers will take that roll out quite nicely and your wife would love you for it. :)

Not when she sees the bill....at least not in this "new economy".
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Share the stabilizers as a GIFT to her and keep the bill hidden. One never shows the bill to the recipient of a GIFT. She will love you for it. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Don,

I will be going up Wed afternoon to help the crew set up. Sorry I'll miss the "Prologue" this year. Maybe next year!
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Bjorn

I believe I saw a comment from you in the last few dates which suggested you might be at the Rendezvous this year? I think you said earlier that you would not be able to make it.

Are you on for it?? I have a few new things to show you.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Calgary
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:04 am

Don,
I was looking forward to it and planned on joining you all in the fun but my son graduate from law school :D the very same weekend and I have to fly across country in the oposite direction :cry: . I'm currently leading a project in Ensenada and if it hadn't been for the graduation thing, I would be stuck south of the border anyway. I may still get stuck here due to the pork bug which is taken very seriuosly by everyone here and I'm afraid they may close the border :evil: .

Last year I got screwed by running off to Germany on a short notice, but it's always a next time and I have already told my boss to mark the calendar for mid May next year with a big X :lol:

Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:16 am

Bjorn,

Didn't you hear? This is the last year for the PS Rendezvous. People are just having way too much fun—it's becoming unhealthy. :wink: Seriously, sorry you won't be able to make it. We'll hold you to next year though.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry about that Bjorn. We will take lots of pictures for you.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Calgary
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm

I WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!! It's not fair........ :( Well, at least it's sunny here in Teqila land :)

Welcome to Tom O, treat him well, he's travelled far :!:

Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby kdibnah » Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 am

Tom, I hope you and Babs have a terrific time. Beware of Don's blue bottle and its contents and please give my regrets and a special greeting from Sonia and me (and Polar) to all that remember us from the past extraordinary Rendezvous.

When I compare what you lot are doing this week and what I'm going to be doing, it makes me feel like I should blow myself up... :(
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon May 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Well, it was another one for the record books. What a great weekend (sorry Bjorn and Ken D). Weather was touch and go on Wed and all the boats got a thorough rinsing Wed night (all night). But Thursday dawned to clearing skies and it was beautiful all weekend. The more relaxed social tone seemed to be appreciated by most if not all, though some lamented the absence of the raffle. We had a total of 95 boats, which was more than we dared hope for in this economy. Quite a few newcomers. Boats included everything from 2 of the early Chantyman models (Chantymen?) to the latest 47EU and the 72 Aleut.

The new 41 showed up as promised—what a boat! Still out of my price range (though inching closer) but a good value relative to other new boats and an impressive piece of engine/drive technology. I was lucky enough to have a chance to go out on a sea trial run and the maneuverability was amazing. Running full tilt at 27 kn, she could turn in a diameter about 1.5 times her length.

The Friday potluck dinner proved quite popular. Bob Smith gave yet another wonderful talk on diesel engines with a focus on the Lehman. There were also talks on batteries, first aid, radar, weather, our resident Orcas, circumnavigating Vancouver Island, how to avoid calling the tow service and even knitting. We offered an Open House to visit others' boats and share ideas as well as contact info. There were free C.G. Aux safety inspections and a dog/cat show plus lots of kids activities to give the parents a rest.

Saturday evening provided an opportunity to pay tribute to Bob Livingston who is retiring after 35 years of building GB to what it is today. He and his wife Mary attended along with Bob and Pat Phillips as well as several members of the Seattle corporate office.

All in all a great weekend. For those of you who attended and didn't put yours is the box there, please remember to send in the survey form and give us your honest feedback. This is your Rendezvous!

Thanks to everyone who participated and we hope to see you all again next year.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
Attachments
P.S. Rendezvous 5.jpg
Sun sets on another great event
P.S. Rendezvous 4.jpg
The Phillips, Livingstons and Blands (GB board members)
P.S. Rendezvous 3.jpg
L-R: Bob Livingston, Brian Pemberton (NW Explorations), Bob Phillips
P.S. Rendezvous 6.jpg
Nice lineup!
P.S. Rendezvous 2.jpg
We pack 'em in
P.S. Rendezvous 1.jpg
Can't beat the view. Bob Livingston was clearly moved.
JoMeKe
Supporting Member