Does size matter

Anything related to living aboard your boat

Does size matter

Postby Wayner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:24 pm

My wife and I are seriously thinking of living aboard.
We have been looking at 32' GB,thinking that the added
aft berth on the 36' would not be an asset. Or would it?
Would the extra 4' be a mariage saver.
How are the GB for heating?
First timers
Wayner

Postby Stretch Head » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:44 pm

I can't speak about a 32 or a 36 but I will say I have lived in both ends of our 42 and living in a V berth is not as comfortable for the long term as a cabin with a big enough bed for both of you. This is my opinion and I will bet your wife would think the same.

Lots of things to consider and even though you see the 4' in length there is also the beam which is wider on the 36 so it's a significant increase in interior space.

My suggestion would be choose what your finances can comfortably handle and go with that. You have to consider that the slip fees will be higher with the 36 and most likely you will be paying for a 40' slip. Probably a 35' for the 32 if they offer 35' slips in your area.

Good luck and I know you will love whichever GB you choose. It will be one of the best times of your life. :D

I lived aboard for 25 years and would do it again.
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Keith Morris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:21 pm

When I was single, I lived on my 32. But in reality, It was a pain and power management was mandatory when starting the coffee and toaster and other stuff. When I got married, we sold the 32 and picked up a very nice 36. I converted the aft starboard berth to a short queen and it was very comfortable. We had a Vacu-flush and large holding tank and about 200+ gallons of water. We never lived on it full time, but what we did learn was that most of your stuff and food ended up in the forward Vberth area. I think a 36 would be minimum for two. Showers will be at the shore facility for probably both the 32 and 36. However, on vacation we preferred the on board shower of the 36. A 42' would be much better in my humble opinion.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby Wayner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Thank you gentleman for your thoughts
I'm glad I found this GB site.
Hope to be a Grand Banks owner soon
Wayner