Comfort on board?

Anything related to living aboard your boat

Comfort on board?

Postby wmiii » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 am

I am new to this board and I am thinking of GB-42's.

We presently have a 1995 37' Island Packet sailboat that we have had for 14 years. We are beginning to think it might be time to move over to a trawler type boat for our live-aboard and cruising lifestyle.
As I search for boats in our price range ($120-150,000), I find a few GB-42's, some Kady KKrogen 42's, several Mainship 350/390's and a whole lot of other 1980's model trawlers.

Since we have the IP., we are accustomed to a quality boat, so we may not be satisfied with the Mainships, I feel that the build quality of the GB and KK would be better.

I like the pilothouse style of the KK with the salon aft, but I also like the separate stateroom style of the GB. It seems that the 'comfort' factor in the salon might be better in the KK.
So that is my question....
How comfortable is the salon in the 42's and how do you best utilize it?

Thanks,

Wm
wmiii

Postby Stretch Head » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 am

My GB42 is very comfortable in the salon and with the L shaped galley I have a great entertainment area. I love the higher placement the GB has as well and you have an almost 360 degree unobstructed view. When we are at anchor that is a great feature we always enjoy. I remade my settee and have thicker seats and a lean angle to the back so it is very comfortable to relax in.

I think the hull design of the GB gives a better ride at sea also, less roll. I also love the walk around decks and I prefer a flying bridge to a pilot house. Just our preference. We love the open air and visibility it gives us.

Good luck making a choice. Where will your home port be?
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 am

We originally had a 65' Monk designed trawler with pilot house and fore and aft staterooms which we lived on and cruised for several years. Later, after we moved up to the PNW, we had a GB32 for a few years before we got Dreamer, a 45' Alaskan, similar to the GB Europa.

We cruised extensively on Dreamer for about 25 years and also lived on her for about 4 years. We much prefer the livability of the sedan style and enjoyed Dreamer without the pilot house. A lot more usable space for us.

I believe you will find the quality of construction much superior in the GB over the KK.

Good luck in your search. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Wm,

I agree with Stretch. The older GBs had flatter bottom cushions and more nearly upright back cushions for the settees which were not conducive to "lounging". A shaped bottom cushion with a little raised thigh bolster and a more inclined back cushions helps noticeably. In addition, if you can find one with the hi-low dining/coffee table, it will make it more comfortable as a living space. We have the stationary "yacht" table, which has some nice stowage, but after dinner, when it's time to relax and read or socialize, we would surely like to be able to lower that table to coffee table height. Also, you will want to familiarize yourself with the differences in the straight and L-galley arrangements. Each has its pros and cons, similar to the table issue—stowage vs openness and maneuverability.

We too love the eye-level 360-degree view from the salon seating.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

GB, KK, MAINSHIP

Postby JOHN SANDERS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 pm

WM, prior to purchasing SEA LEVEL, I spent 5 days, and several hundred miles on a KK 42...observations, PRO: fit, finish, quality was good, comfortable interior layout, pilothouse very good, nice aft cockpit, all in all nice boat. CONs: many arrrgh single engine, dislike silhouette and angle of bow deck, flybridge configuration-chopped up, in any seaway more than 2' you better be stablized, nearly tossed out of PH--desk lamp wasn't so lucky. The above boat had bow thruster--an absolute must w/single engine. My thoughts, going away was, lose your engine, bow thruster and your in a bathtub. The owner NEVER used the FB. As for Mainships, absolutely not the quality of GB or KK, but bang for your buck, tons of them for sale in Southwest Fl. PS, went aboard a 46 Gb motoryacht-1985--for sale, Ft. Myers, told it will go for $150Kish, alot of boat, with what appeared to have good bones...tho very dirty...not associated with sale. Good luck.
JOHN SANDERS

Postby K Dowling » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:59 pm

After three years living aboard, I will put in a good word for the Classic, or, aft cabin model. Even odder, we do not have the walk around berth, but the split berths. The advantage is that we have a real room back there. plenty of open floor space. Two people can get ready for a night out at the same time, etc.

This wasn't our first choice, but, we have come to love it.

cheers,
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
K Dowling
Supporting Member

Postby wmiii » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Wow, Thanks for the responses.

We are in Bradenton, FL and boat primarily between here and the Keyes. We'll go down mid Jan and usually come back up in April or May.
Hopefully, depending on family, we'll run over to the Bahamas and possibly up the East coast. We've done that in the sailboat, but feel that the type of cruising we do not would be better served with the trawler. Also we are from Tennessee and have done the Tenn/Tom several times and may run back up there again. Also the idea of the Great Loop.

My concerns were with the 'lounging' and entertaining comfort of the salon. I think you have addressed my concerns. We do spend a lot of time in the salon of our Island Packet and find it very comfortable with the fold down dining table. With it up there is room with 2 settees on either side. I have been known to lay down on one and watch TV.

Thanks again, I seem to find several 42's out there that might work.

Wm
wmiii

Postby Sleepah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

There is nothing finer than sitting in the salon of a GB-42 Classic aft cabin at 7:00 in the morning,with hot brewed coffee in the mug, lying quietly to a well set anchor in the Exumas. Nothing!

I am an hour south of you. Let me know if I can be of help.
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am

Sleepah wrote:There is nothing finer than sitting in the salon of a GB-42 Classic aft cabin at 7:00 in the morning,with hot brewed coffee in the mug, lying quietly to a well set anchor in the (fill in the blank). Nothing!

My favorite spot is Little Harbor on the back side of Catalina Island, CA.
Capt Head

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby wmiii » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 am

Yep, Those would be great spots to just kick back and enjoy.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of time we spend as liveaboards is sitting at the dock.
Just trying to see how comfortable you have found the salons to be and what addiditons or modifications have been made.

Wm
wmiii

Postby Stretch Head » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:21 am

Good luck, I lived aboard my GB 42 for 20 years and loved every minute of it. They make great live aboards. :D
Capt Head

Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 pm

This article just appeared in the new Sea magazine. One person's thoughts:
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby wmiii » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

Thank you Ken,
I've just got to get to the point that I can read it.
I think it will provide some helpful informaton.

Wm
wmiii

Postby msjoberg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm

we're also looking to get a GB and enjoyed all your comments. Can somebody give the pros and cons of a 42 vs a 46?
msjoberg

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

The GB46 will have more space throughout than the GB42. There are also different models in each size.

I highly recommend you check out all models of both sizes to zero in on what is best for you.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member