My Favorite Times

Anything related to living aboard your boat

My Favorite Times

Postby Stretch Head » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 am

I lived aboard two boats and moved aboard the summer of 1986 on a 30' powerboat. I was single and preferred the single life. I moved from a house, to an apartment to the boat so having a storage was part of my expenses. Downsizing was easy except for my possessions which was hard for me to shed.

The marina I was in was the best in the Wilmington area of the LA Harbor and we had many nice yachts in the 40-100' range and a yacht club that was an active powerboat sport fishing club.

We used to have dock parties and believe it, people actually brought very nicely prepared great tasting entrees and side dishes. They also brought more refreshments than they drank and shared with everyone. I never felt I had to cook all the meat which I provided, supply the side dishes and buy all the refreshments just to have the ten neighboring boats to come over and bring the small container of store bought mac salad and eat my food and drink the ice chest empty.

What happened to those days?

In my marina it all seemed to change in the early 90's and now I don't do dock parties even though We did put on a few each year until about 2005. Times have changed.
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Movin' On » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 am

Stretch; I am down the coast in Dana Point Harbor. Even though I was never a liveaboard, up until the early 2000s there were always impromptu dock parties on weekends where people just came down to the boats with stuff and everyone just cooked it up and shared drinks etc. etc. This all stopped around the same time as you mentioned. Part of it is no doubt due to the stress down here from Orange Country trying to "redevelop" the harbor into another Marina Del Ray (high rises and shops around an area of dwindling boater services). People divided into camps around the proposals and stopped talking to each other except in County "hearings" where things got ugly. Many of us down here also wish things had not changed. My fear is we will never get back the camaraderie that used to exist.
Howard Schutter
Movin' On
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:45 am

Howard, I never knew Dana Point went through that but I spent a few days there in the early 2000's, maybe 2003, and I noticed that on the dock I was on there were only two boats that had a friendly and party atmosphere going on. The dock across from my boat had people aboard several boats and they just stared at us having fun aboard.

It's too bad boating got polarized and much like the political scene today, it seems like.

I went to the marina yesterday for the first time in a week and now being two months a landlubber, you should have heard all the "I miss you guys, it's very quiet here now, when are you coming down?" I guess it's nice to be missed but I say it's time for equal sharing when we do get together.
Capt Head

GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

san diego scene

Postby rotaryman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 am

I am in sun harbor marina in point loma san diego. Previously I was up at island yacht in wilmington. We had some problems in wilmington with drug dealers and such taking advantage of the liveaboard life and the cops were visiting parts of the docks every night. I did enjoy the lively commercial aspects of that area but did not enjoy the drive up from san diego or the condition of some of the boats near us. I sold that boat to a friend and brought my 42 in san diego. We are a small marina and have lots of pot lucks, and holiday events which the marina manager kathy coordinates with us, she is a liveaboard in a different marina near by. Most of my friends are older then I am as they are retired but I take them with me to see my kids playing soccer and show them around san diego. I have got to go cruising with sailors here who needed crew in mexico and I have really enjoyed the neighbor hood feel of this marina.
Oh yea my ex became my ex after i got the boat, she has my beach house in cardiff with the kids and i am here I plead my case as pathetic but in truth I miss my kids, not my ex and I love the ocean life but do like my garage wood working equipment and still travel to the old place to make things for the boat and I am looking at places around point loma to purchase but wow prices are still crazy even in a recession.
rotaryman
Supporting Member

attempting to live aboard.....

Postby jgard48 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 am

well..i purchased pleiades in 2008 and immediately moved her from the st john fl river to boston...up the icw...they say God loves fools and sinners...well we made it to boston without event and were blessed with grreat weather even though it was august-sept 08....only boat going north at that time of year..icw all to ourselves...have been in boston since, the winters harsh....this winter...of all the ones..i have been attempting to stay aboard...-12 degrees f is not easy...south is looking better all the time...also left a 4br home to 1 br apt to 10X10 storage...life is so much ligher...am blessed that my Girl came into my life when i was ready for such an adventure....ladies stop waiting for the guy to buy the boat...as a friend said to me when i was thinking about becoming captain..."jg...float your own boat.." have been doing so for 2.6 years now and still smiling!
GB 42 Classic...rules!
jgard48

Postby Vance Nelson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:04 am

We are currently fininshing up 10 days land yachting (boon docking) at Quartzsite, AZ with 238 other land yachts, at the Quartzfest - Ham Radio Convention. We have had a couple of pot luck dinners and I am pleased to report that the folks brought GREAT dishes. Most of us are 65 plus, so it may be a generational thing.
Having experienced the store bought mac/cheese menus elsewhere this was a real treat.

Vance - KC8RGO
Vance - Superior Dreams GB32-340
Vance Nelson
Supporting Member