Lower Trim

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Lower Trim

Postby Jastafford » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am

On my 72 42' classic the trim between the lower cabin wall and deck has no finish I assume from neglect. I kinda like the way it matches the deck. It will have to come off to rebed/seal behind it. Question is - while I have it off should I apply finish as I am to the rest of the teak trim or leave it bare?
Jastafford

Re: Lower Trim

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

Leave it bare.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 am

Jastafford

I agree with Ken, leave it bare but be sure to bed it properly when you re-install it.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:29 am

What should this be bedded with? I started to remove last night but had to stop. The screws felt like they were not holding onto much good material but then it seemed to be pretty well stuck down. I need to take a different tool to the boat so I don't break it prying it loose. Not sure if it has ever been removed as I was starting to see some pretty virgin wood. The sealant material I was seeing on the edges was black like on the deck but felt like silicone so I'm guessing it is something a PO added.
Jastafford

Postby Rod Graff » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:49 am

I use Dolfenite natural beading compound. It is what GB used behind all of the trim and for beading the windows. The Dolfenite of today is not the same as it was back then. It is now a yelowish color with the consistency of honey. The origional beading I scrape off of my boat is a reddish brown, and believe it or not after almost 50 years some of it is still playable.
RUBY TUESDAY. GB-32-162
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby FrugalWife » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Yes, be careful removing that trim piece. I had to use a Multimaster with a smooth cutting blade (no teeth) to break the grip of the adhesive. I used TDS when I reinstalled the trim. It’s an important piece of trim as it provides a waterproof seal between the deck & deckhouse preventingnleaks into the deck core, deck house core, and into the cabins. You might need to reset the screws a little deeper if you’re not feeling a grip when putting them back in. I didn’t experience that problem and was also able to use all the original screws.

BTW, that trim was always unfinished to match the deck.
FrugalWife

Postby Jastafford » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks for the replies
Jastafford