Outboard motor stowage on Grand Banks 23

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Outboard motor stowage on Grand Banks 23

Postby Rod Graff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 pm

We have our RIB mounted on the swim step (Highfield CL290) with the Weaver Snap Davit system. I remove the outboard before I pull the dingy up to the verticle position. Right now I am hanging the outboard directly on the transom railing, near the port corner, with the power head on the outside of the railing, and the lower unit hanging inside the cockpit, which isn't an ideal mount. Has anyone fabricated a flat mounting board that would bolt near the corner of the transom and side railing. If so, show me your pictures. I don't want to use the Weaver Moto-Stow stowage bracket, as it costs almost $400. The motor is a Suzuki 6HP four stroke and weighs 52.7 lbs. I don't like To lift it over the transom and store in the lazarette each time.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby pjwhite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 pm

My boat has a wooden bracket just to the right of the cabin door for holding an outboard motor. It was put there by the previous owner, and I don't use it. I can't find any good photos, but I will try to remember to take one this weekend.
pjwhite

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Rod, this is a setup on a previous client's boat—stainless bracket wth Starboard
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming. Looking for something that will hang it near the top of the railing close to the corner. Maybe a flat starboard with U bolts around the rail and a stanchion on the bottom of the pad running to the deck. I can't go to the right of the cabin door, as I have a side mount table and cooler there, and the transom bracket looks to be too low for my motor to stand up and would also get in the way of the dingy, which we stow tilted all the way back to the swim step. I'll post a shot of the mounted dingy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby oldersalt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 am

I'm working on the same issue. I'm fabricating a wood or starboard bracket that will be attached to the stern rail stanchion with a couple of U-bolts. The u-bolts need an inside diameter of 1.5 inches so they can be tightened properly around the stanchion. I hope to get the height right so that the fin on the bottom of the outboard will sit between the slats of the swim step to help support and stabilize it. I have also rigged a 2-part tackle on the boom so I hope to easily lift the motor on and off the dinghy. The top end of the tackle is a used mainsheet fiddle block with locking cam cleat, which should help holding the motor while it is being moved around. If you lower the boom to a horizontal position, the fiddle block is low enough that you can easily "pop" the line out of the cam cleat. Who knows...all of this might actually work!
Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
oldersalt
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

I have the lower unit not sitting on the swim step. Because the rear railing and transom are angled inward the motor will hang on the rail and the lower section actually wants to hang inside the cockpit near the deck in the port corner. I'll take a picture of this when I go to the boat tomorrow. It will be a little more of a hassle to get the motor off as I will have to feed the lower unit out of the cockpit. The power head sits outside the rail, turned sideways. I put a cover from my RV ladder over the power head and it hides the motor from potential thieves, because you can't see the lower unit from the dock or water. Also the dingy rests a couple inches away. I can release the dingy from its position against the transom and tie it off vertically, and still walk along the swim step. Makes it easy to put the cover on. On the woodies,like I have, the cockpit ceiling walls, I believe, are different from the fiberglass boats, so my arrangement might not work like yours. I like the idea of the U bolts. The Admiral insists I don't let the motor rest on the lower unit skeg. She thinks the vibration will screw something up inside the motor.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I found this stainless steel and wood outboard motor bracket at the pelican here in Alameda, for $65. Looks to be brand new. I am going to try and run two pieces of stainless steel uni strut accross the stanchions attached with U bolts so I can adjust it for height and horizontal placement. I'll have to put some rubber in between the stainless and bronze. This bracket was designed for the transom of a boat and is designed to lower the motor outward and down, which should bring it close to the dingy when I have it let down. I'll post more pictures once I have it mounted.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby pjwhite » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Here's the outboard holder on my boat. Not as convenient as something on the transom, but maybe more secure.
[/img]
pjwhite

Postby Rod Graff » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 pm

I think I am going to ad an additional stanchion to the transom railing (if I can find one) so I can place it to the width of this bracket I bought, rather than create a network of uni strut to span two existing stanchions.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 pm

I think I am going to ad an additional stanchion to the transom railing (if I can find one) so I can place it to the width of this bracket I bought, rather than create a network of uni strut to span two existing stanchions.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Rod Graff
Supporting Member

GB 32 Outboard Bracket

Postby oldersalt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am

Here is a cardboard mock-up of the OB bracket I am adding to my 1990 GB 32.
Roughly 17" by 6", it will be made of 2 thicknesses of 3/4" Starboard Marine Lumber, which should be plenty strong for a 2.5 hp motor. 2 big U-bolts will attach it to the 1.5" stanchion above the transom, so no new holes have to be drilled into my pretty boat! You might be able to see the faint outline of the stanchion position on the photo. The dinghy, mounted on tilt-up Weaver davits, will stand a bit further away from the transom, but that should not be a problem. I also rigged up a 2-part hoisting tackle on the boom, which uses an old mainsheet fiddle block with cam cleat, so I can easily lift the motor on or off the mount and lock it in place, hanging off the tackle, if necessary. That also meant adding a $30 permanent hoisting strap to the motor, which was a bit of a hassle to get to stay on properly!
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks
Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
oldersalt
Supporting Member

Postby Rod Graff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am

I installed the outboard motor bracket yesterday. I bought two additional stanchions from Randy Good here on the forum, and mounted them under the railing as a new support for the outboard motor bracket we purchased at a consignment chandlery. It is a very sturdy arrangement, and is spring loaded, hanging down and out, once the dingy is lowered. I bought a motor lifting harness and use the boom on the boat to lower the motor onto the dingy transom. Now I wish I would have purchased a Larger motor because I no longer have to lift it over the rail.
Rod Graff
Supporting Member