New 1985/2011 49' GB Classic?

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

New 1985/2011 49' GB Classic?

Postby rmjranch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am

Bought a 1985 49 GB Classic in Sept 2010. When we had the boat we realized the refit was going to be a major job. Wanted to do the "Loop" and then ship the boat to Europe. Looked at all GB's on the market including larger and much more expensive. Everything was a project. Decided we wanted a "New" 49 GB Classic. Refit included New Electronics - extensive, Rewire entire boat - extensive, all new interior lighting, new Stabilizers with 7 1/2' fins, new dingy with proper new dingy davit, redo mast, paint inside boat, new blinds, new 20 gallon water heater, new A/C, all new canvas - extensive, overhaul both engines and generator, custom teak table with adjustable stainless base and 6 teak chairs for bridge, all new mattresses, strip and redo all rails, transom etc, list goes on for pages. Took the boat to the Keys for a shakedown cruise, had a great time. Do I have a "New" 49' GB Classic? Really makes no difference, love the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rmjranch
Supporting Member

Postby Sleepah » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:23 pm

She looks great! I love the tan canvas, Happy sailing......................
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby fogleew » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Where did you get the dinghy davit. Is it custom or factory made? How is it attached to the boat? Multiple backer plates? I assume it is powered.
Eric and Sharon Fogleman
Four Oaks, NC
fogleew
Supporting Member

Dingy Davit

Postby rmjranch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Custom retractable Yacht Davit -110 volt AC - Winch with manual override 600 lbs lifting capacity ( will lift double that) Aluminum, painted Awlgrip off white with mounting base for compression column. We have enough power from our new inverter to raise the small boat if the generator fails. Multiple backing plates. Lift was custom designed and built by UMT International in Ft Lauderdale. The also custom built our new mast, boarding ladder, boarding steps,custom chocks for small boat, lift raft holder, fender holders etc. Absolutely the finest first class engineering, workmanship, and service. ( I am an engineer). Highly recommended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rmjranch
Supporting Member

Postby Boyd Godfrey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Gorgeous! - Gotta' say, I love the tan canvas too!
"When life gives you Lehmans..."
Boyd Godfrey
Supporting Member

Canvas

Postby rmjranch » Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 am

Entire boat has new Canvas. Bimini goes all the way to the mast. Bimini top used 1 1/4 inch Stainless Steel Tubing ( replaced the 1/2 ") Top is "Sunbrella"
Forward three panel of flybridge enclosure are 60 gauge Makralon (lexan type). They can be rectangular. They zip to the bimini when open. These panels are much clearer than "Stataglas" and do not need to be made in the "smile face" design. Also the seams are smaller so you do not have as many "blind spots". Side of enclosure is "Smile face" roll up made of "Stataglas" Also canvas people replaced the settee, chairs in salon, and headboard in the master stateroom. They made beautiful envelope cushions for the folding teak chairs. Creative Canvas in Ft Lauderdale. Not only do I highly recommend them but the owner, Brian, has a 42 GB Classic.
rmjranch
Supporting Member

New 1985/2011 49' Classic

Postby B Tisdale » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Looks Great ! I really like the tan Sunbrella and wish I had used that color instead of the blue when I extended my bimini back to the mast but all my other cloth was new so I stayed with it. They are great boats and I have been upgrading our boat for a 1 year plus cruise starting in October 2012. Your boat is a beauty and hope to see you on the waterways.
B Tisdale
Supporting Member

Re: New 1985/2011 49' GB Classic?

Postby bud fernandes » Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm

She looks great. We are presently buying a 49 GB. What boatyard did you use?
bud fernandes

Re: New 1985/2011 49' GB Classic?

Postby jjletteri » Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 pm

She looks great Would love to hear more on the davit, Cost ??? If if works ez will just one person? thanks

you have shone the way

I am almost there with my 1993 42 Classic, most of the refits that you have done plus, water counter, remove decks , We are in South Florida, went with tetraline for windows, new fuel tank, we already had stabilizers (we love them)

All was well with it !!!and we use the *&^% of of this boat like no other we have owned.....

Best

Jeff :D
jjletteri
Supporting Member