Wi-Fi suggestions

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Wi-Fi suggestions

Postby gerryhebear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 am

We're nearing the end of our rebuild project on our 42 Motor Yacht. The vessel is now in dry dock after deciding that we would epoxy the bottom completely as a result of some blistering. I don't think blistering ever sunk a boat but I concluded that it was cheaper to deal with it now rather than later or when we decide to sell. But that gives us a few months to finish up on a lot of little things so we're dealing with it. On our travels we will need to stay in touch with the business and we have been reading up on the alternatives. We have concluded that we should have boosters to maximize both our cellular and wi-fi reception and that should work since we will be travelling south on the east coast and then the southern Bahamas. We have decided that Satellite internet is overkill and far too expensive. There's a diversity of product out there to enhance both cellular and wi-fi signals which is the route we would like to take. Would appreciate any input or experience you might have to help us decide which of the products available might best work for us.
gerryhebear

Re: Wi-Fi suggestions

Postby rwells » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm

I installed The WirieAP+ (WiFi only) last year and am very pleased with the performance. Easy install on a topside rail. The Wirie Pro (WiFi and 2G/3G/4G) is probably what you are looking for. http://www.thewirie.com/
Rob Wells
M/Y Sirena
GB36E #860
rwells
Supporting Member

Postby gerryhebear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks. The Wirie Pro was my first choice when I looked at the options I found. Mostly because everything is integrated into one box that seems very waterproof at the base of the antenna and includes the modem so its just a power wire installation. My thought is to install it on the mast since I can lower the mast to change out the Sim card if I need to. I'm thinking to also get the upograded antenna which brings it all to $800, still not too bad if it works as you say.
gerryhebear

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 am

I'm about to take possession of a GB that has a Wirie on it. It'll be interesting to see how well it works.
wkearney99

Postby Dmeyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 am

I added a Rogue Wave Pro system (http://www.wavewifi.com/services/rogue-pro/) to my boat late last year. I placed the Rogue antenna on a 8' extension (http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product-category/mounts-accessories-leisure/mounts-accessories-2/) so it was clear of my bimini top, then ran the lead to a wireless Netgear N300 router. Easy install and I can connect lots of people/devices. The reception has exceeded my expectations by bringing in weak and previously non-existent signals without any reoccurring costs. I recommend it....
Dmeyer

Postby Mike Massingill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:28 am

An Island Time setup came with our boat. It worked fine as long as you had passwords.

Verizon had an offer for $100 per device unlimited data and calls. So now we have two phones and iPad to stream on the boat. They provide signals for TVs, laptops, music, etc.

40 miles offshore and we were still connected.
Mike Massingill

Postby Hyperion » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm probably getting the Rogue-Pro for my setup along with their 4g node. Grilled them at the Ft Lauderdale boat show and was impressed with the specs.
Hyperion