Looking at GB47s

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Looking at GB47s

Postby Sadler » Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

Looks like I've sold my beloved 2005 Nordic Tugs 37, so I'm now looking for a larger boat to keep the Admiral happy. What does everyone here think about the GB47--either the CL or EU version? I know it's more of a motor yacht than a trawler, but other than that, it checks a lot of the boxes and it'll go 8 kt all day like my Tug, albeit at fewer mpg. I've searched here and found some very useful comments back when the 47 was being introduced, but maybe folks have more to add now since then. From what we've seen, not sure we like the galley down and the lack of a port side door, but other features such as the back door to the flybridge and hall door to the guest head on the CL seem like pluses, as do the wider beam and flush mount crane on both versions. Any other comments--negatives or positives?

Thanks,
Sadler
Sadler

Re: Looking at GB47s

Postby wkearney99 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I've got an Eastbay 47 Flybridge and among the many pleasant features, I find the stairway up to the flybridge to be fantastic. That and since we use it for a lot of weekend entertaining with friends, the large aft cockpit is quite nice. Those being two things that are fundamentally different between the 47EU and 47CL. I'd venture the CL layout is probably the more similar to your Nordic, but with the added narrow aft door up to the flybridge. Otherwise, yeah, running around from starboard, aft and up to the flybridge would be less than ideal.

Are you looking to maintain the same experience as it applies to the outdoor amenities? The 47CL would do that more than the 47EU. If you're looking for more outdoor entertaining the larger covered aft cockpit on the 47EU would offer that.

Note there are always variations on how some of the models are laid out. There were options for staterooms and storage so you may find some variations. My EB47 has a larger day head than you'd expect, which was downsized in later iterations, providing a large storage closet off the main companionway. Likewise changes to doors and a few other things here and there.
wkearney99