Cost of Diesel

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Cost of Diesel

Postby Jastafford » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm

My marina does not sell diesel, only gas. I'm assuming diesel from another marina(45 minutes down the river) is going to be a fair amount higher than at my local gas station. I can get a transfer tank to put in my truck fairly reasonable. Should I?
Jastafford

Re: Cost of Diesel

Postby Richard Werner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Do a google search for the term: marine diesel fuel prices
A number of guides for various areas show up.
Richard Werner
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Highway fuel is not taxed at the same rate as marine diesel and cost more. The marine fuel have red dye in it to identify it as such and stiff penalties goes along with being busted with marine diesel in your highway vehicle if you're busted. However, you are free to put as much highway fuel as you wish in your boat since you're not cheating the government for tax money.
This is the only difference between these two types of diesel. And no, it won't hurt your engine, only your wallet.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I 'm thinking the marina is going to charge a lot more than the gas station? Not accurate? My local marinas are not posting fuel prices because they are closed for the season.
Jastafford

Postby Don Prior » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Jastafford, you do not mention where you are so we can not estimate your diesel price.

Last weekend I put diesel in Brassbounder in Anacortes at Cap Sante fuel dock for $2.78/gal (over 100 gallon price). That is about the best price in this area and I am told it is much less than the gas station price on the highway. It is, as Bjorn mentioned, dyed, ultra low Sulphur diesel.

If you have Lehman 120's you are going to use about 6 gallons for the round trip to the available fuel dock which is, in round numbers, about $16.00 to $17.00. It would take some time to pay for a transfer tank at that rate and it is much more fun to take the boat to the fuel dock :-)

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Got it, looks like your local is around $2.87. So no penalty from the marina, probably due to the lower tax. My understanding for gas is that it's about a $1 more at the marina per gallon. I was assuming diesel would mirror. My PO was at a different marina during the season and there everybody got together and had a truck come in to save money. My marina did not want me to do that for fear of spillage. So I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully I can get the fuel that's been on the boat polished up well enough to get things running and get me to a fuel dock. Last night I did find a transfer tank on Craigslist that was off a semi-truck that I could make work for only $50 instead of the few hundred I had been looking at. Oh, I'm on the west coast of Michigan by the way.
Jastafford

Postby Jastafford » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey, I posted another thread that's not getting a response. What about dropping from 4 tanks to two? Good idea - bad idea? My old girl is not going to travel for days with no available fuel. In Michigan we have a safe harbor every 30 miles. I may not even be comfortable taking the old girl out to the big lake this year. From our marina and then around the harbor and back is pretty much a full day cruise. Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of tanks? I am not going to put 800 gallons of fuel on board to just fill tanks. Heck, I don't want 400 gallons to just fill two tanks. My PO said he put 50 in each tank. I'm thinking that as I polish up the 25 or so that is in each tank I just run it all back into two of them and shut two off. Get it to the marina and put another 50 in those two tanks and go from there.
Jastafford

Postby Chesapeake » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:53 pm

One thing to think about is trim. Having the fuel aft will tend to lift the bow a bit, which may not be a bad thing at all depending how she currently sits on her lines. Maybe try using your aft tanks only for a while and see how she rides. Loosing the capacity sure does not seem to be a problem. Storing less fuel and keeping it fresh sounds great in your situation.
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member