Rolling limits

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Rolling limits

Postby d&n » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:38 pm

I haven't seen this question addressed.
We own a GB36 Classic, 1976, Journeyman, based in Wilmington, NC.
Last summer we made a crossing of Pamlico Sound from Belhaven to Ocracoke on a day when conditions were forecast to be mild and comfortable. The actual crossing turned out quite different with significant wave action from the port (10 o'clock) direction. The end result was quite a bit of rolling action as we finished our crossing into Ocracoke harbor.
This situation got me to wondering about how much rolling a GB36 can take without turning turtle. Does anyone have any data or experience along these lines. As best I can estimate we seemed to be rolling about 30 degrees either side of vertical and while uncomfortable, didn't seem dangerous. I expect the actual limits to a particular boat will depend on how much weight is above the vertical center of gravity, but perhaps there is a practical limit that should be avoided by changing heading to take waves head-on.
Ideas, thought??
Doug Jewell
d&n

Re: Rolling limits

Postby FrugalWife » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes, Grand Banks roll and it's not a very comfortable roll as the hard chines cause a distinct snap to the return roll.

I can't speak to your actual question as it would need specific analysis to a GB of similar fit out. But what I would say is if you were actually rolling 30 degrees of vertical that is, in my opinion, a severe roll that would be very uncomfortable at the very least. Gotta hope you had everything lashed down well down below!

Several years ago, coming out of the Damariscotta River in ME, we hit a similar sea and at one point took a couple good rolls as you describe. A tug coming in just off our port bow hailed us on the radio to congratulate us on the roll! It was a friendly and funny exchange.
FrugalWife

Re: Rolling limits

Postby d&n » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:02 pm

We were fortunate that the severe rolling only lasted about 15 minutes, but it wasn't fun for that period. And yes, we learned a lot about stowing things in the cabin. There was lots of cleanup to do when we got to port. My First Mate had to come topside to keep from getting sick.
d&n