Postby drar21 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Well,,, Did you buy the boat?
drar21
Supporting Member

Re: Joining the GB family

Postby taime1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:38 pm

drar21 wrote:
> Well,,, Did you buy the boat?

Still working on it. I have costed out most of the essentals and put in my final offer. I think my offer is actually a bit higher than it should be, but I like the boat, and YOLO.

The owners are pretty tough on their price, so it may not work out. I really want to get to those decks, hope to close the deal so that the decks don't see another drop of rain before the decks can be fixed up.

Should know in the next couple of days whether or not this goes through.

Here's to hoping,

Sylvain
taime1
Supporting Member

Postby taime1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 am

After months of negotiations, research, dreaming and hoping, it all came to a halt yesterday when my final offer was ultimately refused.
So it looks as though my joining the GB family will have to wait. I am pretty bummed about it.

We weren’t apart by that much. I felt my offer was more than fair, given the condition and cost/time to repair some of the big ticket items.

So life will go on, as will the dream. Looks like we’ll renovate the stupid kitchen instead ;)

I will be a GB owner one day!
taime1
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:50 am

You could do like me and buy a project boat to fix up. There was a woddie in Detroit that I passed on that I think could be a great project. The exterior is all done and the interior is gutted. The wife thought it was too much work.
Jastafford

Postby taime1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 pm

thanks Jastafford - I love the idea, but lack the time. I can handle a boat that has a few projects, but not so much a project boat. The one I had my heart set on was just about the right ratio of work/project for value.

But, there are other boats out there and I will find the right one, at the right time and for the right price. Besides, we are all frozen up here until at least April. Lots can still happen between now and then.
taime1
Supporting Member

Postby FrugalWife » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm

So you made a fair & honest offer with eyes wide open. It is now winter. Guess what happens in the spring? Unsold boats are still for sale! Nothing stopping you from going back and re-making the offer. If it doesn't sell the seller will start to figure out the price is not right. As a young teenager, I went w/my father to buy a boat, the same boat, three times in the course of a year. I don't recall but I'd guess he was pretty disappointed the first two times but he wanted that boat and waited and tried until he had success. And he went on to have that boat for 20 years. Good luck.

As for me, I probably paid too much for my GB but I loved it and equally if not more important my dear wife loved it!
FrugalWife

Postby Charlie0 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 am

“As for me, I probably paid too much for my GB but I loved it and equally if not more important my dear wife loved it!”

Ditto!
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby taime1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks Frgalwife and CharlieO, good points made. No reason to rush this and that boat will still be there this spring and in all probability throughout the summer. And not unlike you CharlieO, had the offer gone through, I may have felt that I had overpaid a little, and that is more than ok, if it makes you happy...and even moreso if it makes the family happy.

On the plus side, I may have sold my current boat today, which is one big step closer to the GB dream.
taime1
Supporting Member

Postby Hyperion » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:59 am

I went through almost the exact same scenario in August. My decks were not as bad as yours but close. I decided to lower my offer considerably and then repair the decks as best as possible. I plan to manually deepen the groves where needed, re caulk, re bung and re sink screws with sealant. I hope to get a few years out of the old deck. I then plan on removing it and replacing it with synthetic teak. I found the factory that makes it in china and buying directly from them via alibaba is considerably cheaper than from the distributors here in the US. If glass is an acceptable replacement for what use to be a wood hull then this is acceptable to me as well. Good luck
Hyperion