Minor Blisters Cause by Uncured Resin?

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Minor Blisters Cause by Uncured Resin?

Postby ejans001 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:13 pm

First post - new member - feel free to push this post to another category if that makes sense.

I am in the process of purchasing a 86 GB42 MY. During the survey, on haul out, several dozen 4" diameter and smaller blisters appeared under the bottom paint. The surveyor took time to explain to me that after the oil crisis in the late 70s, manufacturers fooled around with resin composition and sometimes uncured resin would be present in the fiberglass and could take on water. He popped one of the blisters with a sharp edge and pushed some liquid out onto his hand. It smelled like a mixture of resin and salt water, but only lightly of both.

He then proceeded to explain that leaving the boat out during the winter would allow these blisters to dry out (I'd rather not leave the boat out of the water out of necessity each year). Then, once the water dried on the hull (~15mins after power washing and scraping), the blisters could not be seen. I wonder if that was simply the sheen being gone or if the blisters truly dried out.

I want to know if all of this sounds legitimate, or if this is going to require significant rework now or in the future.

Thank you
ejans001

Re: Minor Blisters Cause by Uncured Resin?

Postby Charlie0 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 am

I had this same problem with a boat built in the early ninetys. The builder is well known and respected building high end semi custom boats. He explained the situation exactly as you described. He and I ground out the blisters (maybe a dozen on a 26 foot boat) and filled with epoxy. All is good now.
Charlie0