Water Tank Levels

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Water Tank Levels

Postby Jastafford » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am

My new to me 1972 42 classic has twin 120 gallon water tanks in the forward potion of the lazerette. How did they used to figure out how much water is in them? There are no site tubes or any other level indicator that I have found. I think they are baffled for sloshing.
Jastafford

Re: Water Tank Levels

Postby GB42-267 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:06 am

Go to your local hardware store and get a 1/4" wooden dowel. Fill up the tanks and make sure they are leveled out and full. Dip your dowel in one of the tanks, scratch a mark at the point where the dowel is wet. Wipe the dowel off and wait till it's dry, use a permanent marker and make a ring around the dowel at the mark you made, this is your full mark or 120 Gal. Make another mark half way down, this is your half full or 60 Gal. Continue dividing up the dowel in as many sections as you want and write the gallons at each mark. I've been using this method for the past 15 years and it never fails, completely idiot proof and dirt cheap. :) You can of course go the expensive way and have a tank level system installed, but it's a total waste of money in my opinion.
Good luck
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks, I thought I was looking through the filler hole at baffles so I didn't think a level stick would work. My hull is wood at hull #259, are you still wood or fiberglass?
Jastafford

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:00 am

All wood
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member