Transom rotted core

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Transom rotted core

Postby Charlie0 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 pm

I had a 1985 GB 36 surveyed today. The Surveyer found the core in the transom to be rotted. It appears to be well above the waterline and is basically the same size as the area behind the outside teak. The water tanks will have to come out of the lazarett so that the inner fiberglass skin can be cut out to access and then replace the core. Probably a DYI project. Has anyone else run into this? The boat is otherwise in great shape and we would like to move forward with the purchase. Thoughts?
Charlie0

Re: Transom rotted core

Postby FrugalWife » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 am

Didn't know there was a core in the transom ... is it rotted or just wet? Seems the only way to determine if it's rotted is to open it up. If it is the entire area behind the wood transom then that''s a pretty big area (approx 12ft x 4ft) although the fix may not be that difficult from inside the hull it will definitely be time consuming. Without crawling down into the lazarette of my boat to check, I might also suggest that you would need to not only remove the water tanks but all the tank framing as well. Frankly, I'm mystified as to how that much moisture could get down into that area. Wet behind the exterior transom planking is fairly common but that is outside the hull and not structural in any way.

If you are serious about moving forward with the purchase then I would get a firm written quote to have it fixed and adjust your accepted offer down the amount of the repair estimate. If you want to then go forward with a DIY fix, you're good to go. You've probably got 3 days of labor just removing & reinstalling the tanks & framing. Don't be surprised if a quote is $10K or more.
FrugalWife

Postby Charlie0 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:32 am

Thank you for the response Frugel Wife. Was wondering if that area is actually cored. There is brown snot weeping from a lower corner and you get a dull thud when it is tapped. So best guess is that it is cored and rotted. Dosnt appear to be any structural significance there but was cored so that the screws holding the exterior teak had something to bite into. Might just as well be left alone except for the next survey. I am betting that there are many others with the same issue. Boat is in Thomaston Maine by the way. Taking down to RI next weekend. Hoping the fog clears :) Owner made a concession on the price that I think is fair. Thanks for your participation and the advise that you have given on this site.
Charlie0

Postby FrugalWife » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:26 pm

And I am headed east from Cape Porpoise (Kennebunkport) on Mon Aug 6, headed ultimately to Mt Desert.

If you need an overnight around Cape Porpoise, there are a couple moorings near mine that are empty. If I'm gone then mooring # CP27 will be empty. It's very soon into the mooring field just to the east of a 38ft black yawl and north of a 48ft green offshore lobster boat. If I'm still on the mooring there's an empty one behind me to the northwest. And there's good food right at the dock - a fried clam shack, a pub, and a full serve restaurant.

Have a good trip.
FrugalWife

Postby Charlie0 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Thank you Frugal Wife. That is very generous of you. I will keep that in mind if we are in that area. You have a great trip to Mt Desert. Lots of fond memories for me there.
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby takefive » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:56 am

As a temp fix you can drill a lot of holes from inside, use a pick to find moist core. Vacuum moisture out. Once dry fill holes with 610 epoxy. Should be good until you decide to rebuild transom. Bigger question is how did moisture get in. Find the source and epoxy it. In my case the transom door frame was cracked and the transducer cable wasn't overdrilled. Just drilled through core and was a moisture source. My transom is 1/2" fg, 1/2" plywood, and 1/2" fg. Don't think transom will fall off anytime soon but it's on the list of things to do someday.
takefive