Questions to ask before buying my first GB

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Questions to ask before buying my first GB

Postby stefeyme » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:39 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum,

I'm decided to buy my very first GB(36 fibreglass), most boats I have found on Internet are far away from my home town (Valencia / Spain) and I wish to make a first selection based on close-up pictures and information related to the GB herself before traveling across Europe to visit the one(s) of my choice.

I'm not pretending to replace an exhaustive inspection made by professional experts of hull and engine (that will be run before purchase) but I have a limited budget ($60-70K) and I can't spend it travelling around Europe.

So my question is: what would be the close-up pictures you would ask the owner of a GB36 fibreglass (the ones I have so far found span from 1975 to 1980) to help you to make up your mind, and what would you be looking for as signs of major problem.

Many thanks in advance for your kindness

Take care

Stéphane
stefeyme

Re: Questions to ask before buying my first GB

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:37 am

Stéphane, I am sure there are many opinions on this, but the first three things I will look for are rust on the tops of the fuel tanks (usually indicating water seeping in around the fuel deck plates), condition of the teak decks (how much wood left, how many missing bungs, condition of seam caulking) and the windows (plugged drain holes in the tracks often leading to water leaks leaving water staining on inside paneling below windows). Beyond that, the general condition of the boat—how clean and tidy is the engine room, is the refrigerator full of frost or moldy food, etc.—says a lot about the care the owner shows in maintaining the boat.

Good luck. I hope you find a good one. They are great boats.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Re: Questions to ask before buying my first GB

Postby stefeyme » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks for your quick answer Ken!
Cheers!!
stefeyme