Anchor Drag Detector

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Anchor Drag Detector

Postby robtheriault55 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Boaters forget about those sleepless nights worrying if your anchor is dragging. I am developing a positive indication anchor detection system in conjunction with an electricical engineering design firm in Calgary. We will be trialing the prototype system on my GB 36 in the Gulf Islands this fall. Not a new concept but other than complicated and expensive sonar systems for drill ships and semi submersible rigs used for deep water offshore drilling I have never seen a commerical system developed for pleasure craft. New technology for electromagnetic wave propogation (underwater radio) with an accelerometer on the anchor is the key to success. The system will be blue tooth enabled for allowing monitoring from your cell phone. We expect the commercial system to retail for < $500 Cdn.
I am sharing this with the GB owners forum first and would appreciate feedback on the concept. My partners and I are funing the prototypoe and will be soliciting investors for commercial production.
robtheriault55

Postby robtheriault55 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am

I haven't had any comments on this idea. What do people think of a anchor drag detector that doesn't rely on GPS?
robtheriault55

Postby FrugalWife » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I read you original post and to be honest had no reaction one way or the other. Although the price point seems reasonable for what you're proposing it is not a price point at which I'd buy. I would hazard a guess that all boats that are concerned with an anchor dragging has some type of GPS driven electronics with the requisite alarms, etc. that serve the purpose reasonably well; probably not as accurate or quick as what you're developing but adequate. My opinion would be that your product would be primarily of interest to the mega-yacht captain. Of course, my opinion only. And absolutely not trying to discourage your work, innovation is the way of life now so go for it!
FrugalWife

Postby robtheriault55 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks, appreciate your comments. Anyone else?? Ready to trial this fall.
robtheriault55

Postby shanti » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 pm

What would really make this stand out would be the ability to connect to your cell phone but off the boat. I.e. You anchor in a harbor and head to shore to explore, out of site of the boat. If your phone could alert you to dragging, it would be great. This ability does not exist in the market. The guy from active captain was working on this capability on his Drag Queen ap before Garmin bought him out. It never get past some early beta testing.
shanti
Supporting Member