Mysterious water tank inlet, forward port side

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Mysterious water tank inlet, forward port side

Postby rolf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 am

As the title says. I have attached photos of the location of this inlet that clearly reads "water" on it. I have not been able to trace this on any of the boat's drawings and if there's a hose/pipe going from it to my two water tanks located aft then they are deviously well hidden. My water tanks have similarly looking inlets placed directly above them, located just in front of the door in the cockpit, those are what I use to fill the tanks and I have never had any problems with them.

Does anyone know what this 3rd inket is and what it connects to? Is there a hidden third water tank in my boat that's not on the drawings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rolf

Postby kildarian » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am

Rolf, have a similarly placed "inlet" but on my starboard side. Except for one major thing ... its an "outlet" for my holding tank and certainly not marked water!
kildarian

Postby FrugalWife » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 am

I wonder if a 3rd tank was added at some time and, if still in existence, is under the forepeak or one of the forward berths?
FrugalWife

Postby shanti » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am

My 1989 46 had a forward and rear tank, both had their own deck fills and they were plumbed to a t that then fed the water pump. You could use one or the other or both based on how the valves where at each tank. You could also fill both tanks via one fill if both tanks had their valves open(one feeding the other) I suspect you have the same setup.. see if you can fill them with more gallons than they are rated for
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby rolf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 am

After some more research and crawling about, I have found a third tank of 110l located underneath the stairs leading down into the boat. It even has a nicely plumbed overflow valve. I'm going to go assume that it connects to my two main tanks after and that its capacity is therefore used. Odd that it doesnt appear on any drawings and 110l is hardly a useful volume compared to the 775l I have out aft. Mystery partly solved I guess...
rolf

Postby FrugalWife » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:32 am

Idea - does it supply water to the head? This is often done to alleviate the "normal" smells that emanate from a marine head.
FrugalWife