Paravane and poles on a GB

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Paravane and poles on a GB

Postby Sangraal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:13 am

Has anyone experience in the use of or seen a GB using paravanes and poles underway? I am not referencing flipper stoppers for anchoring. We currently use a small sail on the boat and it does stop the 'snapping roll' the GB hull gives in a beam seaway but looking for a better mouse trap without fitting the $40k stabilization systems out there.
Paul
Sangraal
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I have seen them on a GB42. As I recall they required a pretty strong system to support them. They were not simply deployed from the mast. There is also a GB42 in our marina that has been turned into a commercial salmon troller complete with trolling poles, supports and gurdies. Again, this required a custom supporting structure to be designed and fabricated.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Paul

There was a GB 36 in the Anacortes Marina a couple of years back with full paravanes rigged with a custom grid set up to support the forces when deployed. The base of the poles were anchored on the toe rail with a custom fitting with the out riggers lines leading from the mast at about the spreader level. I remember there was considerable rigging involved but I can not remember any other details. There was an aluminum grid on the cabin top deck that stiffened all the components.

If I recall correctly The boat was from Alaska and was returning at the end of the year.

I do not recall the boat's name unfortunately.

Maybe someone else in Anacortes will remember more details?

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Sangraal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Thank you both for the input. I have also searched the thread and gleaned some information there too. I am find out the loading and have ordered a copy of 'Voyaging under power' by Robert Beebe which I understand will tell me more on the subject. It seems most rigs are custom but there has to be somebody that has been through the learning curve. I think the paravane is the easier part. Getting them to 'fly' is a hands onptocess. The rig and anchor design seems to be more complex but the Nordhaven folks do it on a number of their boats so there has to be some merit to the concept.
Paul
Sangraal
Supporting Member