Grand Banks Parts from Malaysia

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Grand Banks Parts from Malaysia

Postby laurabender » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 am

Again, I have had another very positive experience with Ken Loh from GB Parts of Malaysia. As he did with a part we needed several months ago, he not only sent photos but also sent sketches with exact measurements so we could be sure that what we were getting was exactly what we needed. He and his associate have frequently been in touch by email in addition to a phone call that he made to me. Eventhough they seem very far away (as the crow flies!), their service and communication is as excellent as if they were just around the corner. I am very pleased with their customer service!!!
Laura Lane Bender
Kindred Spirit III
Charleston, SC
laurabender

Postby Georg Daniel Reuter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:08 pm

I have also dealt with Ken Loh and would second Laura's comments.
Georg Reuter
"Civetta"
GB 32 - 540
Vancouver
Canada

“Believe me my young friend; there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats” Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (1908)
Georg Daniel Reuter
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm

I am replacing my rudder port starboard side in June. I wrote GB Parts several times asking for a rudder port, you know it is the shaft log that has the packing nut and threaded end that fits inside the boat going through the hull and the rudder post is inside it. There is also a flange with bolts holding it.

Ken Loh had no clue and I even sent him an email with the same wording as above. I am still waiting for his answer and will let you know the minute it gets here. It has been a few months already so I actually gave up on them and bought one from Buck-Algonquin.

He thought I needed a rudder. I'll try him on other parts hoping for better results.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Robert Findley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:45 pm

I too have had top notch service from Ken Loh on several occasions, the latest just last week. He definitely has been a pleasure to work with. As with any other business transaction, clear and precise descriptions and instructions will minimize problems and misunderstandings.
Bob Findley
SambaMar
GB42-1290
1994 Classic
Robert Findley
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

A rudder port is a rudder port. It doesn't have another name.

Like I said, I am looking forward to working with him in the future.

All I can say is, and this is not a beat up Ken Loh by Stretch report, I emailed him last year for a part. Two months later i get an email from him responding to that email. I had already bought that part from another source and quite frankly, forgot I sent him the email.

The second request I sent was for a rudder port. I actually sent that email to gbparts and they forwarded it to Ken.That was 2/22/09. He is always nice in his emails.

I bought the rudder port from Buck Algonquin and if you are interested, go on page 89 in their online catalog and you can see it. It is the one with the 1.50" shaft. When I haul out I will post pictures in the appropriate place.

Cheers!!
Stretch Head
Supporting Member